PDA

View Full Version : Who makes STRUCTURED frame backpack (hiking) carriers?

quikeye
09-27-2004, 07:08 PM
DH bought an inexpensive frame hiking carrier this weekend @ a garage sale ($4!) and *loved* it. (Nevermind the fact he won't wear ds in any of "my" carriers-- kozy, mnm, kkafp, chic papoose, etc)... But after walking just in the city yesterday, he had to take it off since his shoulders started to hurt. Gave me a great compliment though on how I wear ds all of the time, "superwoman"-esque :)

Long story short, I want to buy him (or trade a kozy for) a frame hiking carrier; the ones that have a "stand" so that the frame can stand w/ baby inside (so, no sutemi or ergo)... But I don't even know who makes these! I see them all the time, but I never pay attention since I prefer my carriers to the framed kinds (just the way they look)-- so, anyone have any names of manufacturers who make the "hiking" type of baby carriers, and maybe any advice/reviews? I know kelty makes them, but they're the only ones I can think of!

Thanks!

Jennymarie
09-27-2004, 07:30 PM
This site has a number of carriers:

http://www.childcarriers.com

Momof3Labs
09-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Tough Traveller makes a number of nice ones, including one for tall daddies. I picked up a $200 Stallion on eBay for about $60 shipped.

tigalig
09-28-2004, 12:34 AM
We have one made by Infantino and it's called Little Hiker. I loved it until last week when my daughter (8 months, 16 lbs.) fell face first onto a sidewalk as she was sitting in it and the backpack was on its stand. I am not bashing the backpack, just cautioning against being too comfortable about the safety of the stand feature. Our daughter had a small oral laceration, but it bled alot and scared me to death!

pixelprincess
09-28-2004, 03:19 AM
hi,

we almost bought a REI tagalong frame pack. It is quite comfortable, though more so for my taller dh than me (at 5' 2"). Another one that I liked for its lightness and design was Deuter Comfort kids.

Ultimately, I ended up buying an Ergo and love it. It is super light too. Dh has used it once and seems to like it too. We'll end up getting a frame pack for him at some point.

good luck with your search.

hipmaman
09-28-2004, 05:03 PM
The ones that readily available in North America would be Kelty, Tough Traveller, Deuter, Jack Wolfskin, etc. There are those that are also available here but not as widely sold: MacPac, Vaude. Also some of these companies do make carriers that for big chains like REI, MEC (in Canada), etc. The babygear manufactures also make them: Eddie Bauer, Evenflo, etc.

If you do the search on this site for baby carriers, backpacks, etc. There are many discussions on the framed carriers to do a bit of reading on to see what to look for, what brand is better for which body types, etc.

It really depends on your usage, lenght of use, features you must have, and budget, etc. to decide on these things. But most importantly, the comfort of wearer and baby. So the best thing is to try them out if you can as no two bodies are made the same and carriers fit differently.

I love the MacPac and not the Keltys, but there are many happy parents with the Keltys that work for them. KWIM?

quikeye
09-29-2004, 04:15 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I think I'll end up sending dh to REI and see if he can try some on for size/fit before jumping in.

I wanted to say thanks as well for the advice on using the stand; the reason I really want one w. the stand is b/c dh says "I can put him on myself when I use the stand!" (He sits on the floor and straps him on! ::laughing:: He's even seen me put Kai on my back in the kozy by myself, but was so amazed he could do it...)

I can't wait to find one he likes! :) Thanks again all!