PDA

View Full Version : NEW TO THE WORLD OF SLINGS!

newmommy1
09-30-2004, 12:27 PM
I would like to purchase a sling/carrier for my 4 month old. I would like something:

-SAFE
-comfortable for her and me
-stylish
-condusive to nursing her in it
-machine washable

ANY information is greatly appreciated! THanks!

newmommy1
09-30-2004, 07:51 PM
bump up.............also would a pouch be better for a beginner???

quikeye
10-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Hi, welcome to my world, welcome to my world... ::grin::

Here's a few posts I've made about slings in general, incl. links to carriers and other babywearing sites/places you may want to visit to figure out what carrier will work for you... (I'm only referencing *my* posts b/c I remember them :) If you do a search in this forum you'll find more advice from others as well :) )

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=62&topic_id=5037&mode=full
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=62&topic_id=5607&mode=full

My advice for any new sling purchase-- decide what type of carrier appeals to you, then decide the manufacturer. So, if you don't like wraps there's no use reading about them, right? (I think carriers are pretty personal-- there's no "right" answer to which is the best or better... otherwise there wouldn't be people out there w/ several different slings, like me :) ) I think they're personal since they look a certain way, and can be used in different ways... what appeals to me doesn't necessarily appeal to anyone else.

Types of slings:
* Pouch
* Ring sling
* Asian baby carriers
* Wraps
* Unstructured soft carriers

All of these are condusive to what you're looking for, to some degree. At 4 months, I started using my abc more than my pouches for long walks, since babe could (and wanted to) hold his head up and sit up "straight" and look around). I also enjoy the weight distribution; at 8 months my son can be a little chunk attached to me. :) But, I still use my pouches, since they're quick and easy to put on, and I think my chic papoose is pretty fly. ::grin::

Comfort-- a babe 4 months old can get heavy/taxing to carry, so a carrier that disrtibutes the babe's weight over 2 shoulders and/or across your waist may be more comfortable to wear (ABCs, wraps, unstructured soft carriers) than a single-shoulder carrier (pouch, ring sling). But, a lot of the pouches/ring slings have a wide or fanned shoulder that helps distribute weight evenly and comfortably across that one shoulder. I personally don't like using a pouch for long periods now (3+ hours) since I don't have to, I'll use an abc. But I always have a pouch handy when we take a stroller out; they're easy to carry (thin) and easy to get a fussy babe into (relatively).

Stylish-- There are absolutely gorgeous choices in all types... (Not a complete list!) Chic papoose & Mammas milk make beautiful pouches; Zolo (of course) and their silk slings are stunning; Kozy & saschi (sp?) have silk brocade abc's... I haven't seen a commercially available wrap that's more than a solid colour, but there are some wahm's & sewing moms making really unique wraps. Unstructured -- can't think of stylish ones :)

Nursing-- I don't nurse in mine so this isn't personal experience, but I'd assume all can be nursed in. I would think that a ring sling would be easiest to nurse in, since it has a long tail for discreet nursing & the top rail can be opened & adjusted wider for more room for a nursing babe. A pouch less so than a rs-- not as much coverup & the top rail isn't independantly adjustable. I wouldn't want to nurse in my abc or any 2 shouldered carrier-- though I've seen pics of babes doing so; for me, I still occassionally hold my breast for nursing (or try & direct my son not to be so distracted!) and an abc would get in my way-- just a personal opinion though. Don't know about wraps...

Washable-- I handwash mine (even the hemp fleece from Mom and Me), but that's just me. I use a carrier almost every day (I like to walk w. my son), and rarely need to wash one b/c there's not a lot of opportunity for it to get dirty, no bodily contact except for a little chewing on occassion :) (At 4 months he stopped being such a spitter, and there's nothing to get onto the outside of the pouch). But, for the investment & to keep it looking nice, I handwash. I would assume that all could be machine washed, except a silk carrier... cotton and hemp fleece and canvas should go thru a machine no problem. I don't know about the unstructured carriers (like sutemi or ergo)-- I don't think they'd go in the wash?

Best of luck! If you had any more questions once you've figured out what type you're interested in, let us know! Or, check out www.thebabywearer.com for a lot of reviews on specific carriers by people who own them.

JacksMommy
10-01-2004, 06:25 PM
As the PP indicated, many of these things are personal preference - especially "stylish"! I personally like the look of the sleeker pouches vs. the ring slings so I got a KKAFP (Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch). Even though some of the brocade and patterned slings are beautiful, I prefer a solid neutral color and think of that as more stylish since it blends in better with my clothing. My fleece pouch is black and when I buy my Kozy abc, it's likely to be a combination of black and cream unless she has more neutral stripes available.

There's a ton of info on these boards, so use the info the PP has given you to do a little research, then come back here and do a search for the reviews of the ones you are interested in.

I will say that for me, the KKAFP meets all of your requirements, but again, that's a matter of opinion :) The only complaint I hear about them with any frequency is that they can be hot in warm weather.

HTH,

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/24/02