PDA

View Full Version : Yippee! I just met another carrier-using mama IRL!

Saartje
10-05-2004, 12:07 AM
And no, she's not a member of these boards, lol.

DH and I are both sick with allergies, and neither of us felt like fixing supper, so we walked to the nearest bakery/cafe. I wore DS in the Hug-a-Bub, and a woman there with her two daughters (ages 1 and 2 1/2) commented that she used to use one of those.

I'm used to people saying that when they mean a Baby Bjorn or a Snugli, so I started to explain the difference, but she interrupted: "No, I mean THAT carrier!" She said she saw someone using one once, but they told her they didn't remember where they bought it, so she scoured the internet until she found it. She spent a good year carrying both of her girls at once that way, one in front and one in back! She also made herself a sling to use in a hip carry.

She also showed me a prototype of a sort of boot (hope I'm using the term right -- that's what it seems to be called for strollers) she's making that would be very appropriate to tuck around a baby in a wrap carrier (or, I suspect, in a car seat). She gave me her number so that she can send me one to test -- she's trying to perfect it so she can sell them. :D In exchange, I gave her the address of these board, so maybe we'll see her around.

hellokitty
10-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Wow! That's really cool about running into someone who uses a HaB and is also trying to develop her own baby product! I have never run into a sling wearing mama before either. The closest I came to it was when we were at the LA airport and took the shuttle to the car rental place. I was wearing joshua in my wise woman sling and a woman who got on said she was so happy to see me, "wearing" my baby. We had a chat, she was from MI (I'm from OH), and she pointed to her very TALL 16 yr old and said she wore him too. :) She also told me about how she BF'd him and how happy she is that she did it. So, it was kind of cool to run into to someone else to chat with. Otherwise, I too get a lot of stares, esp where we live (hicktown). HOWEVER, I have a neighbor who is also a transplant to this area and she LOVES trying my slings out. Her son is 3 yrs older than joshua and she knows for sure she wants to get a sling, but just can't decide which one, lol. I'm just sucking her into my addiction.