PDA

View Full Version : KKAFP questions

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
10-08-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm thinking of buying a gently used KKAFP. I've never before used a sling. I seem to be right on the edge of a small/medium. What do you suggest for sizing? Small would probably fit now, but I'm thinking that after I have #2 (still a wish right now), that I'll be more of a medium size.

Also, what about the snaps? It's currently snapped for the right shoulder, but I'm thinking that I would like my right arm free and would wear it on the left shoulder. Does this make a difference?

Thanks for the help

tarahsolazy
10-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Let me preface this by admitting that a KKAFP is one carrier I don't have, but I do have a Mom and Me fleece pouch which is very similar. Since these are adjustable, you have a little more wiggle room with sizing. That being said, I'd get whatever fits now!

For instance, my pouch was on a biggish snap setting immediately post-partum (these are GREAT tiny baby carriers, BTW, kick the Bjorn's butt), and then eventually on the smallest setting. Now, to carry chunko in a hip carry, I have it on a big setting again.

As to shoulder snap sides, what matters is which side you generally carry Brandon on. Lots of mamas carry their kids on their left hips, especially right-handed mamas. If you carry Brandon on your left hip, you should have a pouch snapped for the R shoulder, as the pouch will go over the R shoulder, and the pouch part will be on the left side, for Brandon to sit in. It does impair use of the R arm a little, but it just seems natural to me. Whenever I try to wear DS on my R, for variety, it feels less safe, and clumsy.

Welcome to the world of slinging, its a wonderful way to haul babies around.

JacksMommy
10-08-2004, 03:12 PM
You could e-mail Tanya at Kangaroo Korner to ask about sizing - she's very helpful. I say go with what fits now, although if you are at the top range of the small now, you may very well be in the bottom range of the Medium which would give you some wiggle room to gain weight (preggers or no). It is important that the sling not be too big for you. Hmm, I think I might just be confusing things!

Your sling being snapped for the right shoulder doesn't mean that you won't get use out of it. In fact, I find that I use my right hand more than my left when slinging because my left hand is on DS or is impeded by his presence on my left hip. Most (but not all) right handed people prefer to hip carry on their left hip, and I would recommend choosing your snap side based on which hip you want to carry your baby on. Which side it is snapped on doesn't matter much for other positions beside the hip carry.

HTH,

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD baby girl 12/24/02

squimp
10-09-2004, 02:49 AM
IF you want your right arm free, you should have it snapped for the right shoulder. The snaps will sit on your right shoulder, and the baby will be on your left hip. Your left arm will be more constrained than the right. I hope that makes sense.

I'm right handed and not ambidextrous. I generally carry DD on my right hip, but when slinging her in the KKACP, I carry her on the left hip. It's really more comfortable and I like having my left arm free.

new_mommy25
10-09-2004, 05:19 AM
I'm 5'6 and was a 36DD in chest when I bought my KKAFP. I wore a medium. Normally I wore it on the tightest snap, but since it was winter, I would lower it a snap or two if I was wearing bulky clothing. I would also lower it to breastfeed though I never really did get the hang of it in the pouch. I'm right handed and mine was snapped for the right shoulder. It really only matters for hip carry. In the beginning we usually used the snuugle hold, cradle hold or kanagroo carry and that was always on my left shoulder.