PDA

View Full Version : Who still slings your toddler? (LONG) - **UPDATE**

Kimberly H
10-10-2004, 05:55 PM
The fabric arrived today for my new Hotsling and I'll send it to Kristen, along with my current Hotsling for her to re-size.

I thought about the wraps as they're so versatile but 1) Mia likes to get up and down - except for football games, she's doesn't sling for long periods of time, and 2) I don't think I need any more bulk around my already bulky frame, and 3) the learning curve. Yes, I'm a chicken :)

I'll still be watching for the "perfect" carrier so keep posting, ladies, and thank you for your help and support

I've gotten back into slinging Mia, especially at the Friday night football games and yesterday's all-afternoon-and-night band competition. Anytime I think she might fall asleep in the evening, into the Hotsling she goes.

I know my Hotsling is a smidge too big and she pulls on my back and my hip aches after a while - especially with my plus sized body and those backless bleachers for hours. Kristin offered to adjust it at no charge, but I can't stand to be without it long enough to send it. Maybe after football season ends. :)

I've been debating a second Hotsling in a lighter color - my current one is bright colors on a black background on one side, royal blue batik on the other - or maybe a Mei Tai Hip Carrier in a light color. We're going on a cruise in December and I'll want to sling Mia but the dark colors will cook us both as we're both HOT all the time. Both Kristin and Karen will make the slings in a custom fabric for me - I love fabric shopping!

I'm just afraid the Mei Tai won't fit well with my big self ;) as I usually wear longer, tummy-covering tees and you have to tie the Mei Tie Hip Carrier around your waist. I also missed the durn cutoff before she raised the prices.

I have a custom ring sling from KK that we don't use because it's bulky (padded shoulder) and I'm not comfortable at all with getting a good fit (lack of practice) so I'm going to give it a shot this week to see how we deal with the rings and extra fabric.

I'm getting a new pink/blk Micro stroller next month when they come out. Is it worth spending the extra money for more slings when I don't use the ones I have too often? Will I really be slinging Mia much longer?

TIA

Momof3Labs
10-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Kimberly, I'm struggling with this right now. Colin is about 30lbs, so kinda heavy to sling, but he wants to be carried quite a bit still. My Zolo is no longer comfortable (digs in my arm opposite where he sits) and my KKACP isn't comfy for a long period. I keep on going back to the KKAFP because it has a VERY wide shoulder and doesn't dig in anywhere (the lycra binding is great) - I can wear that longer than anything, but it is HOT!

I have a Mei Tai that I got from bethwl (who is starting to make them, btw!) and I love the idea, but Colin is kinda tall for it and the straps dig in when I carry him a la rucksack. The tie around the waist isn't too flattering, but anyone who does custom could make the tie longer, if you wanted.

The Mei Tai hip carrier does sound very nice but I also missed the cut off and want to hear more feedback from toddler moms before paying $60 for one!

Since the hotsling already works so well for you, that's what I would suggest you stick with. The options at the toddler age are more and more limited, unfortunately!!

new_mommy25
10-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Is there any way you could take the hotsling up yourself?

If you're getting a pink Micro than a pink ZOlo pouch may be in order :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/14687.jpg

StephanieF
10-14-2004, 06:22 PM
I've got one of those pink Zolo pouches and LOVE it! Pouches are great for toddlers who suddenly decide they don't want to walk anymore!
Stephanie

zen_bliss
10-22-2004, 03:31 AM
i still sling my 18 month old all time -- several dog walks a day, since stairs and busy streets are involved. i've moved away from my beloved ring slings to a sleek chic papoose.

egoldber
10-22-2004, 12:37 PM
I slung Sarah regularly until she was about 2 1/2. We were at Seaworld last week (sans stroller) and I was REALLY wishing for a sling!!!!

At the Hotsling prices, I really think you can't go wrong with ordering a second one.

HTH,

heidi_timms
10-22-2004, 08:26 PM
I haven't been using my ring slings and pouches as much and use my Mei Tai for my toddler now. A Mei Tai fits all body types and is very versatile. Or, how about something like a Sutemi or Ergo carrier? They are more structured, but have great padding at the waistband and the waistband is thicker than a Mei Tai. I can't live without slinging my toddler sometimes, otherwise, she can be all over the place!!!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

fauve01
10-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Beth~ i'm curious ~ what kind of sling you use with your 2.5 YO? How much does she weigh? is it comfortable for you? does she pop in and out of it a lot or does she stay put for stretches at a time?

Anne + DD 10-03

edited for spelling

egoldber
10-23-2004, 08:35 PM
I mainly used a pouch style sling much like a Hotsling (but I made it myself). But I also used my Maya Wrap ring sling. At 2 1/2, she probably weighed, oh, say around 30 pounds. It was mainly "in and out" type slinging.

I think that a pouch sling is best with a heavier child because the weight is distributed across a wide swath of fabric rather than concentrated at the neck (like with a ring sling) and no rings to dig into the shoulder. I could easily carry her for 20-30 minutes that way, but longer than that did hurt.

A back carrier would probably be "best" for a heavy child, but honestly, I could never get the hang of thsoe by myself and are not (IMO) convenient or conducive to popping your child in and out of.

HTH,

lampes
10-24-2004, 01:07 AM
Have you thought about a wrap? I find that a wrap is more comfortable than a sling because of the even distribution of the weight.

egoldber
10-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Well, I don't sling her anymore since she is now over three. :) But the problem I have with wraps is that they are not conducive (IMO) to the up and down type slinging that you tend to do with an older toddler.

fauve01
10-26-2004, 02:00 AM
thanks! i was wondering. i've been wondering if i should get a pouch since DD is at the up/down stage, so you helped me justify it! LOL

Anne