PDA

View Full Version : What looks best on a plus sized mama?

trumansmom
10-10-2004, 10:54 PM
I can no longer wear slings or pouches due to back issues, and DH very gently told me today that my Ultimate Baby Carrier isn't the most flattering thing in the world. Apparently all the little bulges peeking through the wrapped stretchy fabric is kind of gross. (My words, not his, but I could hear him thinking it! :P ) DD loves, loves, loves being carried, and I'm trying to figure out alternative carriers. Would a non stretchy wrap have fewer bulge issues? Or would a wider stretchy wrap look better? How about a mei tai or sutemi? As it gets colder, I guess I could always just throw a cardigan on over the wrap, but I hate being limited like that.

Bigger women and/or more experienced baby wearers, please help!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

rorycam
10-11-2004, 12:09 AM
I have not tried one of these ring wraps, but I thought it looked really interesting--like a wrap, but it looks sleeker to me, with a little less fabric to wrap around, and looks to be rather flattering, I think. HTH!

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/wrap.html

Rory

angelfan25
10-11-2004, 03:01 AM
I had the same problem when I wore my Moby wrap, now that my DS is a little older I have found a pouch sling is way more flattering and quite comfortable! I have one from Peekaboo Baby and I just love it, it's easy to just throw it on over my shoulder and load DS in it.

HTH!! Here is there website - www.peekaboobabycollection.com

Shelly
Proud mommy to Tucker Ryan 3/19/04

Momof3Labs
10-11-2004, 09:43 AM
You won't like a Mei Tai - I find the MT unflattering on my size 12 body! A non-stretchy wrap might look better.

Jan Andrea
10-11-2004, 04:45 PM
I think I'd go with a non-stretchy wrap, like the Girasol or Didymos. It would practically be a corset, all wrapped around you ;) I always feel slimmer in a non-stretchy sling than I do in a stretchy one. I hate to malign my own product, but it's stretchy, too, and does tend to emphasize one's unwanted curves. I've been considering the Girasol listed in this eBay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4330022810 It's about $25 off the normal price, which seems like a great deal.

Momof3Labs
10-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Hmmm, thanks for the auction link, Jan. I may be checking that one out - it's hard to find a good carrier for a 30lb, 38" toddler!!

trumansmom
10-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Thank you for being so upfront about your Ring Wrap. I had been looking at it and wondering. If only I weren't so darn "ample"!

I think there may be a Girasol in my near future...

Thanks everyone!
Jeanne

Momof3Labs
10-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Which pattern is calling your name, Jeanne? I haven't hit the button yet because I can't decide.

btw, the auction is from the gal at www.tentoes.com

tarahsolazy
10-12-2004, 12:57 AM
I just ordered a medium, #6 or 13, we'll see which comes in the mail! Gotta go put some carriers up on the Swap, I think...

trumansmom
10-12-2004, 01:02 AM
I noticed they were the same color choices as tentoes (got a little research-happy), so I wondered.

And I haven't hit the button yet because I can't decide either! At this moment in time I'm thinking I like 4, 13, 6 and 5 in that order. And you?

Jeanne

sugarsnappea
10-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Great question Jeanne. Now that my baby is bigger, my HAB is not looking so good. I have been wanting to swap it for something different. Does anyone know how easy it is to put on/take off a Girasol?

Jan Andrea
10-12-2004, 01:54 PM
It also kind of depends on the fabric. The interlock/jersey RWs are just as bad for large sizes as a regular stretchy wrap, but I made a RW out of a fleece sling I wasn't using last year, and it was much more forgiving. The thicker fabric doesn't dig in as much. Of course, it's that much warmer, so if you're like me and tend to overheat easily, that's no good except for outside in the cold. Sometimes there's just no winning :)

tarahsolazy
10-12-2004, 02:22 PM
I bought a gauze wrap from gypsymama.com for cheap, to see if I could do it. I can, its just gonna take more practice. The one I have is khaki gauze, which DH says looks like F and I are wrapped in pantyhose. I kind of agree, so Girasol, here I come! I got the #13, the rainbow one.

Momof3Labs
10-12-2004, 03:04 PM
#5 and #4 catch my eye (I love the blues but not sure if it will clash with a lot of my wardrobe). The neutrals are so practical color-wise but are just kinda blah. I didn't like #4 at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it!

trumansmom
10-13-2004, 02:56 AM
I took the plunge! I ordered #4 with 13 as my second choice. I can't wait!
Jeanne

trumansmom
10-13-2004, 03:00 AM
Hmmm... the fleece actually sounds like a good alternative to me. I live in SD, so it's pretty darn cold here for a significant chunk of the year. Let me think about this. This may be what I *need* for Christmas.

Thanks for letting me know about the option.

Jeanne

quikeye
10-13-2004, 03:13 AM
lol about the pantyhose... :)