PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a fleece pouch!

tny915
10-14-2004, 01:55 PM
So far I'm looking at the KKAFP, the Peekaboo fleece baby pouch, and the Hotslings fleece and need a little help as to which to pick. I'll be using it with my 11 month old DD as well as #2 whenever we decide to expand the family. We mainly do the hip carry with the occasional front-facing carry.

I know people are huge fans of the KKAFP, so I'm leaning towards that. But simple unadjustable pouches are more what I'm used to and I'm guessing they're smaller to pack. Also is there any difference in the type of fleece used? I see Hotslings and Kangaroo Korner use Maiden Mills, but I don't know what that means...

Can you share how you decided which pouch to get?

StephanieF
10-14-2004, 06:08 PM
One of the nice things about an adjustable pouch is that you can wear it over different sorts of clothes, over coats etc plus different people can wear it. Having said that, I usually keep mine KKAFP on the same setting.
I like the lycra binding on my KK pouch-I'm not sure whether hotslings have that or not.
Malden Mills is meant to be the best fleece out there and the KK pouch is top quality-I can't fault it! The hotslings site should say what they use and I would it expect it to be good too.
Stephanie

tny915
10-14-2004, 06:47 PM
I never even considered that I may need to adjust the pouch for thick winter coats and sweaters. Thanks for reminding me. Could you tell me what the appeal is of the lycra binding on the KK?

StephanieF
10-14-2004, 06:49 PM
It makes it easy to get the baby in and out and acts as a "rim" on teh top and bottom rails. I think it also gives it a more finished look.
Stephanie

shindagrl
10-16-2004, 01:27 PM
I have a stretch cotton Hotsling that I used all summer/early fall, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. However, my KKAFP came yesterday and I AM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!! It is incredibly comfortable for both of us. It's a little bit wider than the Hotsling, which provides a warmer, more sheltered environment for DD in the cold weather, and the fleece just kind of molds to us. I got it in color Quiet Night, which is a greyed blue that will go with everything I own. The PP had a very good point about being able to wear it over or under coats or sweaters since it's adjustable. As far as making it more difficult to pack, I don't know that the extra fabric will really add that much bulk.....fleece is going to make any pouch bigger than a cotton one.

HTH. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Judegirl
10-16-2004, 11:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Kristen uses MM also for the hotslings.

JacksMommy
10-19-2004, 04:57 PM
I have a KKAFP so I can't say much about the Hotsling or Peekaboo, but the hotslings have certainly gotten good reviews as well (haven't heard as much about the Peekaboo.) I tend to think that it probably doesn't matter too much which one you get in terms of functionality - it's more a matter of personal preference (style) and what is going to be comfortable for you (which is hard to determine in advance. I know the KKAFP has a 30 day return policy (or at least they used to) so if it totally does not work for you, you can always send it back. The adjustability of the KKAFP really does not add very much more bulk (they are definitely already bulkier than cotton as a PP said) but I do find the sling quite simple, in both function and appearance. I don't tend to adjust it unless I'm wearing bulkier clothes (and as DS got bigger) so it pretty much functions like a regular pouch.

NOt sure if this helps...

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD baby girl 12/24/02

nitaghei
10-19-2004, 05:05 PM
I have a fleece Hotsling, and it is Malden Mills ( i.e., the original, not the cheaper knockoffs). So both the Kangaroo Korner and Hotslings use the best quality fleece, which pills a lot less than the knockoffs, and stays much softer.

Fleece is stretchy, so it is comfortable. But I should have gone up a size to be able to use it over a winter coat. Last year it wasn't a big deal, because DS wasn't walking, and I would sling him, and then put my coat over both of us. The fleece Hotsling is bulkier than my cotton Hotsling, but more compact than my MnM pouch (which is the closest thing I have to a KKAFP). I did use my MnM pouch a lot more last winter, FWIW. My fleece Hotsling is now listed on Swap. :(

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

tny915
10-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks so much for all your comments! I ended up ordering a KKAFP in Quiet Night over the weekend and it's already on its way. The adjustibility factor ended up being key to me especially now that we've reached the cold stormy season. Can't wait till it gets here!