PDA

View Full Version : How do you use Bjorn for errands?

cara1
11-04-2004, 09:02 AM
DD loves to be in the Baby Bjorn. I remember reading before about the ease with which people do errands by just putting baby in a carrier/sling rather than stroller. I have tried this a few times with DD when the whether is warm and it does work. For my entire grocery shopping trip, she stayed asleep (in contrast to the time before that when I put her car seat in the wagon and she cried a lot). The problem is that the weather is getting cold. In nice weather (60 degrees or more), I didn't bother putting a coat on her, and then I'd take her out of the car seat in the parking lot, put her in the Bjorn, and then cover her with MY jacket. As the weather gets colder (today for instance), I can't do that. I can't take her from car seat outside to Bjorn her, even if it's just for an instant...it's 39 degrees right now!! How to people do it?

egoldber
11-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Well, I guess I would not consider 39 degrees to be that cold. That is, not cold enough to harm a baby (especially one snuggled up against you in a carrier) in the time that it takes to put her in the Bjorn or to walk from the car to the store.

One option (if you have enough room) is to sit inside the car with her and put her in the Bjorn in the car.

But you could always just use a baby blanket. Cover her with the baby blanket from the car to the store and then just put the blanket in the cart or your bag.

And another option is a fleece sling, like the KKAFP. It would be very warm and cozy for her if you are walking around outside for awhile.

HTH,

lizamann
11-04-2004, 09:59 AM
I might have been one of those people singing the praises of slinging for errands, but I do them mostly on foot, so this isn't really that much of an issue for me - once she's in, she's in for the long haul. I have often thought that if I had a car I would not be using my slings nearly as much. But I am such an addict that I think I would find a way!

I suppose if I were doing the car thing more often, I would dress baby in a light jacket or sweater and keep the car on the cooler side (so she doesn't roast in transit.) And I, like Beth, wouldn't have a problem taking her out of the seat and popping her into the sling in 39 degree weather, especially if she has a sweater or fleece on. The KKAFP is a great suggestion for this. Then if you want to take off her jacket you can just take it off while she's in the pouch (easier to do this in a pouch than in the Bjorn.) I do this all the time.

I'm sure you'll find something that works!

Momof3Labs
11-04-2004, 01:36 PM
You could take her out of her seat and carry her into the store (covered with a blanket), then put her in the Bjorn in the warmth and protection of the store.