PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on removing DD from my new KKAFP?

swan01
11-04-2004, 11:30 AM
My DD is 1 month old and LOVES to sleep in my new KKAFP. Unfortunately, I am finding it very awkward getting her out of it (especially if I want to keep her asleep). Any tips? She is pretty tiny (9 lbs), so she is really swallowed up in it right now (which she seems to love).

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
11-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Have you tried unsnapping it while she is in it (supporting her, of course) and laying her down that way? Though she might still wake up - lots of babies that age prefer to nap in the warmth and comfort of mommy's arms instead of on a cold, hard surface.

papal
11-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Aahhh yes...this brings back memories.

The best option would be to just sit down in a comfy chair or recliner till she wakes up. Of course this is not always possible. So the next best option is to quietly ask someone to unsnap (you MUST support the baby with your hands) and then snap it onto another person who then sits down or walks around (since my mom and me were the same size, this worked VERY well for us).The thing that helps them sleep in there is that they are all curled up and their limbs cannot move around that much. The third option, as Lori said, unsnap and lay the baby down (while still in the pouch) in the crib, floor, bassinett or wherever.

DebbieJ
11-04-2004, 04:25 PM
I used to lean over onto the bed while still wearing the pouch and set the baby down. Then I sort of "backed out" of the pouch and pulled it over my head without unsnapping it.

Then you can pick up baby and put her where you want her to sleep.

But honestly, I let my ds just nap away in the pouch more often than not. I could get online, do dishes, whatever, and he didn't make a peep. And I got the use of BOTH of my hands!

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

betsydenny
11-04-2004, 04:29 PM
So funny that you posted this because I have been dealing with the same problem. DS is now bigger ~12lbs and it is much easier. But I have always referred to get him out as "rebirthing" him as it is certainly tricky. I don't know what kind of a sleeper your DD is but I can generally pull him out and put him down in the stroller, carseat or bouncy seat and he will go right back to sleep (unless he is hungry).

As for getting him out I try to pull one arm till I can reach both hands in and grab his torso. But it is definitely fineagling to do it. Also try the tummy to tummy as that is much easier to get a grip and get them out. And I can say- it will definitely be easier in a couple more weeks! Hang in there!
Betsy

JacksMommy
11-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Like Deb, I used to put DS on the bed (still in the sling) and draw the sling over my head while leaning over him. It's a little awkward for mama, but DS definitely stayed asleep through the process. I usually just left him in the sling and used it for his blanket. Worked great.

Good luck!

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD baby girl 12/24/04