PDA

View Full Version : For sling-ers/pouch-ers ...

nan
11-18-2004, 09:41 AM
I'm pg w/#3 (due in Feb), and I think I want to try a sling or a pouch this time around. I've used a Bjorn before, and I liked having the babies up high and close by, but for whatever reason I'm looking for a new method. So my question is, how do you know which one you'll prefer without shelling out $$ for each? I know that's asking for a needle in a haystack, because everyone is different, but what the heck. Figured I'd ask and see how maybe some of you came to your decisions (other newbies would appreciate your insight, I'm sure). I'm leaning towards a pouch ... the whole sling-thing with all the extra fabric doesn't really float my boat, and the wrap thing wouldn't work for me (I can barely tie my own shoes). Also, what would your recommendation be for a newbie in terms of low learning curve and general usefulness?

TIA!
nancy

betsydenny
11-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Hi. I used the Bjorn with #1 exclusively. Tried a ring sling twice and couldnt get the hang of it. This time I borrowed a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch (KKAFP) from a friend and LOVE it. I would ditch the Bjorn if my hubby didnt use it occasionally. THe KKAFP is so much more comfortable! ANd being a pouch, it is kindof fool proof- no baby falling out, no tons of extra fabric, yet still adjustable. I wore it on a 3 hour hike and it was great. Yes, my shoulder was a little sore at the end but nothing compared to how my back would have felt with the bjorn.

I am 5'4" and average/small build and have worn a medium on the smallest setting and now own a small on the next to largest setting. You can often find them on the BabywearingSWAP on Yahoo groups.

Check out their website for lots of great slinging/pouching info. kangarookorner.com

I can't say enough great things about the KKAFP! Good luck in your search. BTW DS adores the pouch and sleeps soundly the moment he curls in. Oh, it is a little tricky getting a newborn in and out but after some practice it is no biggie.

Good luck!
Betsy

quikeye
11-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Hi Nancy, For me I looked only at the carriers that I knew I would actually wear (appealed to me aesthetically) first, then narrowed my choices. All types of carriers (pouch, sling, wrap, abc) work well for carrying babes, so rule out anything that's not your style. Nothing worse than buying it and not using it since it doesn't look like *you*, you know?

For me, ring slings never appealed to me, too much fabric. Wraps as well... For a new baby, a pouch is a great bet b.c they're easy, can be used from birth on up, and for me-- my babe loved sleeping in his :)

For pouches, an adjustable is great since you can wear it & others can too-- I *love* my mom and me pouch (www.momandmepouch.com) and would recommend it in a heartbeat. Jen isn't selling them thru her website right now, but she is selling them on ebay occassionally & they come up on BabywearingSWAP as well http://groups.yahoo.com/babywearingSWAP -- hope I got the addy right. I also really like my chic papoose, which is a non-adjustable, but I wore it after ds was a few months old-- I liked the "cushiness" of the mom and me and the extra fabric @ the time. Now I interchange; but I wear the mnm more when its cooler, the cp when its warmer. They're easy to get on & off (I always have one in my stroller, if ds fusses), easy to use and there are some great looking ones out there.

I also use kozy now too (www.kozycarrier.com) and her new website w/ her new baby says you cqan use it w/ a newborn-- but I didn't like using mine til ds got head control. That's just me-- now it's another favorite.

Sorry to ramble :)

jecmama
11-18-2004, 09:22 PM
You definitely can't go wrong with a pouch. I wish I had mine when dd was a newborn. I used a ring sling, which worked great, but i think a pouch would have been nice. Just be sure you get a good fit. Adjustable pouches are good because that isn't as much of an issue, but they cost more. As pp's suggested, kangaroo korner and mom-n-me are popular, and there's also the mamma's milk (www.mammasmilk.com). For a non-adjustable, I love my Hotslings. HTH.

nan
11-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Thank you! I signed up for the babywearing swap board and got kind of overwhelmed ... but based on what I've read here and there I'm thinking the KK might do it for me. I don't think I'm bold enough to pull off the other ones yet, but this could be the start of a whole new obsession!

shishamo
11-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Hi,

I just got a KKFAP for my #3 also (my first pouch), and it's really great, easy to use, pop in the baby and go. Great for preschool drop-offs!

nan
11-21-2004, 09:14 PM
In an unfortunate hormone-induced bidding/buying frenzy, I just bought a hotsling AND a KKAFP on ebay, initially rationalizing that if I got them for 1/2 price that made them worth trying out. Of course, they didn't quite wind up being 1/2 price. Hmmmm. I must be stopped!

Thanks for all the advice.

nov02mom
11-23-2004, 09:12 AM
That's a great start......I LOVE both my Hotsling and my KKAFP. All my other pouches have fallen by the wayside but these 2!!!
Kristen