PDA

View Full Version : advantages to adjustable pouch?

american_mama
11-20-2004, 01:49 PM
I want to buy my first sling and have decided on a pouch from either kangaroo korner (the KKAFP), mamma's milk Invisibly Adjustable, or Hotslings pouch with padded rails. Hotslings are not adjustable. What are the advantages of an adjustable pouch? My husband would be willing to try a pouch, but he is extremely broad shouldered and barrell chested, and I don't know if the same sling will fit us both.

Any recommendations between these three pouches?

I will use the pouch with a newborn for soothing, doing housework and dishes, nursing, and possibly for transportation. My newborn really likes being upright against the chest or looking over the shoulder. I do not do attachment parenting, so I won't be wearing baby for hours and hours (hopefully!)

TereasaT
11-20-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm fairly new to the world of slings, but I can tell you my experience with my newborn (now 8 week old). With my Hotslings pouch, I originally ordered an extra small which was too small so I exchanged it for a small. Well, after I lost all of my pregnancy weight in a couple of months, I needed an XS/S. That said, a nonadjustable pouch is wonderful and simple yet you need to have a great fit. If your husband and you measure differently, you will not be able to share a nonadjustable pouch. (instructions for measuring can be found on any of the sling sites).

Now, I had a great experience with the Kangaroo Korner adjustable pouch (KKAFP). Being new to the sling world, I didn't know how I wanted to wear my baby. Now, I know that I like to wear DS tight and high. I also like the adjustability for when I am wearing significantly bulkier clothes. My husband and I can also share this pouch. I wear it on the smallest setting and he wears it on the largest setting. I also love how snuggly the fleece is.

I actually love both of my pouches for different reasons. The Hotsling because it is comfortable and simple. I have a cotton Hotsling so that is for the warmer days or when I'm inside. The KKAFP tends to get a little warm if you're inside moving for a long period; it's great for the fall and winter walks though. The Hotsling folds up so small even with the leg padding. The KKAFP is a little bulkier because of the fleece. Also, if I have the KKAFP on the smallest setting, there is that extra flap of material behind my back which adds bulk, but I don't feel that it adds discomfort.

Both of the owners of Kangaroo Korner (Tanya) and Hotslings (Kristen) are wonderful. Email them if you need help in deciding a size or have any specific questions.

I haven't tried a Mamma's Milk, but they are beautiful.

Good luck in deciding which sling to buy!

HTH,
Tereasa