PDA

View Full Version : Kozy vs. Kelty Ridgeline

babymama
11-26-2004, 10:06 AM
I'm thinking about backpack carriers, as DS is getting wiggly in our Zolo and too big for the Bjorn. I'm intimidated by the Kozy, so I haven't considered that much. I've heard good things about the Kelty backpack carriers.

I think I would prefer something w/o a frame - but my biggest criteria is EASE OF USE. I want something that I can get on and off. I'd probably use it in stores and on short walks, but I don't anticipate us doing any serious hiking any time soon.

So how easy is the Kozy? how easy is it to mount your kiddo onto your back? I know there's a waiting list. I'll check the website for cost, style etc.

I saw the Kelty Ridgeline on sale at babyage.com for $99 (reg. $169). Is that a good price?

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

tarahsolazy
11-26-2004, 10:45 AM
There is definately a learning curve with the Kozy, its not easy at first to get your kid on your back, and then there are the long straps to conternd with in parking lots, etc. I use the Kozy most of any carrier, but my DH uses a frame backpack, and loves it. It is definately easier to get DS into and then on. Make sure that whichever you choose is OK for your height, some start at 5'3" or 5'4". For all I know, you are tall, but being short myself, just wanted to throw that in. We got ours at a garage sale, a great place to find these. Also consignment stores and Goodwill. But, $99 is a great deal for a new Ridgeline.

babymama
11-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Good to know about the height issue. I'm 5'2"ish, maybe 5'3" on a good day.

On the learning curve, you mastered your Kozy evenutally, right? Did you just practice over and over or get coaching IRL?

I've seen a used Kelty (not sure if it was Ridegeline or not) at a consignment place here for $48. The only reason I didn't pick it up is bc it was really, really beat up (spit up/food stains, pilly straps, generally dirty looking). I didn't feel up for cleaning it all up at that price.

Anyway, thanks for your quick repsonse!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

tarahsolazy
11-26-2004, 03:43 PM
I just kept practicing with the Kozy, and I really love it! I can get DS on my back, but only in the low back carry. He really likes high back, but I need an assist for that, still. I have never seen anyone else with a Mei Tai style carrier IRL. IKWYM about dirty carriers. The one we got, a Tough Traveler, was pretty grimy, but it was $10. For $10, it was worth spiffing it up. The seat/cover came completely off, and washed well in our washer.

smiliedds
11-26-2004, 05:49 PM
If you want an ABC carrier but can't wait, Sachi carriers are very good too. She also has some ready to ship now.

http://cherie012.tripod.com/

Rebecca