PDA

View Full Version : Wrap vs. Kozy?

lenad
12-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks to a previous post, I decided to get a wrap for my 2.5mo dd who does not like to be squished in a pouch. I am waiting for a Moby to arrive as my intro to wraps.

Since then I have been reading posts on this board, and also like the Kozy. The fact that it is structured seems to make it a lot easier to use (at least initially).

My daughter loves to be carried facing forward and with free arms and legs (hates the New Native Baby Carrier in which she wants to stand up, and hates Baby Bjorn, don't know why exactly, but maybe because it is too tight/constricting, even though she is only 12lbs at this point).

Other than the clear difference in looks and the ease of learning between the mei tais and wraps, are there other functional differences? (say comparing mei tais w/ woven wraps, as I can see that stretchy wraps would have obvious differences)?

So grateful for your help (I have just begun learning about baby wearing).

LD

tarahsolazy
12-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Facing outward is a little harder with a Mei Tai carrier than with the Moby. Most sites with directions recommend feet in for a forward facing carry, which your DD doesn't like! However, she might like to ride on your back, which the Kozy and other Mei Tais are great for. You can do back carrys with the Moby, but I always reach for the Kozy, its easier to put on, especially in parking lots, malls, the library, etc. I am pretty comfortable with the moby or a woven wrap for front carries, but I'm still not expert with back carries, so take my opinions with that in mind.

lenad
12-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks for your reply. How early did you start carrying your son on your back? I can see how useful it could be, but wonder whether my dd is too small yet.

LD

tarahsolazy
12-14-2004, 10:39 AM
I didn't do it routinely until about 6 months, mostly because I used a sling primarily before then. And to be honest, I was chicken. Next baby is gonna be on my back by 4 weeks! Check out the Kozy site, I think Kelley has a pic of her carrying her newborn on her back in a Kozy. Also, you can practice with your wrap, which would be great for a tiny baby back carry. Check out www.mamatoto.org for intstructions, including animations!