PDA

View Full Version : Would a Kozy carrier or ABC be suitable for a plus size mom?

mams99
01-03-2005, 09:48 PM
I know they can be special made, but are they COMFORTABLE? Sometimes those carriers look absolutely ridiculous on plus size women - like they cut them in half where the belts/fabric dig in around the waist?

The Ergo has a lengthening belt, but they don't lengthen the fabric part, so it just means you have more hard belt material around you and I don't know if I'll like that.

My normal "size" is a women's 18 or 20 and I have a DD cup when NOT breast feeding. It was a G with my son.

Any experiences?

Melissa

Due with #2 5/1/05

trumansmom
01-04-2005, 02:07 AM
Sounds like we're about the same size, except I went up to an H after having my babies. Here is a link to an article I found VERY helpful:

http://www.thebabywearer.com/articles/WhatToO/PlusSizes.htm

For what it's worth, I've tried carriers, slings, stretchy and woven wraps, and pouches, and they have all had their advantages and disadvantages. Now that DD is 8.5 months old, we pretty much exclusively use a Maya Wrap in the hip carry. My second choice would be my Girasol, but I'm too impatient to deal with all that cloth.

Good luck!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

dowlinal
01-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Comfortable - yes! Attractive - not really!

I am roughly your size and love my Kozy. It is extremely comfortable and I find I can easily carry my 22lb daughter around in the backcarry. She'll even nap in it. I had the straps made longer but I think I probably would have been fine with the standard size. However, I don't think this is the most attractive look for me. FOr the baby to be secure, you have to tie the carrier tightly around your waist so it just isn't pretty. I think that my ring sling in a hip carry looks so much better. Unfortunately my daughter does not like to be carried that way anymore so when I need to carry her I pull out my kozy and avoid mirrors. LOL!

mams99
01-04-2005, 03:32 PM
This link was VERY helpful. I'm not a person who cares overly much about how I look. Well, I like to look presentable, but I don't need to have make-up and fancy schmancy stuff all the time, but I don't like to look BAD either! Nothing made me feel worse than tying something tight around my waist!!! First, it made me look like I was all chest (and since I'm built big, I don't usually look out of proportion) and second, it made the stomach pooch look 5 times as poofy!!! Blah!

And... since we are going to Europe where very few people in cities are heavy, it would make my American hugeness stand out even more!

As I said, I tried the NoJo sling and hated it, but it was one style and not an overly highly rated one with today's standards. I might try a different sling style this time. Plus, a good wrap might be a really good option.

I'm a bit intrigued by wearing TWO slings - one over each shoulder. Has anyone DONE that?

I'll look into the other carriers you mentioned since I know nothing about them!

Melissa

EDD #2 5/1/05 - little boy blue!

Momof3Labs
01-04-2005, 09:36 PM
I don't like the Kozy back carry with the waist strap and crossed chest straps, and I am about a 12 with a DD cup. But the front carry works - it "disguises" all those problem areas! I posted a pic recently of my toddler in a front carry in the Kozy on this board - you might want to check it out!

Slingin_Momma
01-05-2005, 09:05 AM
If you can so at all or know someone who can you might try to sew a FrankenKozy (FnK)

http://webpages.charter.net/dshiel0742/FrankenKozy.htm

This has the body like the Kozy, but wider "wrap-like" straps that are more comfortable for "fluffy" moms.

Hope this helps! I bet any WAHM sling maker would be able to make this custom for you if you can't sew.

tarahsolazy
01-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I have to say that I think the ABC style carriers are unattractive in the back carry position for most moms! I am average size, short, size 8 or so, but tying that waist belt tight enough to be comfy makes anyone's belly hang over. Well, not Kelley, the Kozy Mama's, but she is quite thin. I agree with the PP, I just avoid mirrors, or front carry DS!