PDA

View Full Version : I have no clue what sling to get! Help!

SashaBear
01-06-2005, 01:40 PM
There seem to be so many slings/wraps/carriers out there and I have no clue which one to even try. Can someone educate me and give me some recommendations?

I'm only 4'11 and weighed 120 pre-pregnancy. I'll be a SAHM and will be breastfeeding. I would like something that will conceal the baby and me while breastfeeding in public. I'll probably use it on walks as well and of course shopping. I registered for the Baby Bjorn and the Nojo wrap at BRU mainly because they are avaliable for someone else to buy me :-).

And don't use abbreviations for the slings. I don't know them!

Thanks

I need so much help!

Starla
edd 3.28.05

lenad
01-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Go to "TheBabyWearer.com". They have a great intro to help you decide what sling you may want. In some cities there are workshops on slings (I am going to one this Sunday in Chicago), so that may help too. Don't forget that your baby will have to like it too, so you won't really know until the baby comes.

LD

SashaBear
01-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Thank you. I think that site might be just what I needed. From the looks of it I need an unpadded sling in a stretchy material! Now just to figure out which one.

ericher
01-11-2005, 01:02 PM
I was given a Maya wrap as a shower gift. It was used and so did not come with the instructional video or much instruction at all. I have found it somewhat uncomfortable to use and would not recommend getting one unless you buy it now and/or know someone who can show you how to adjust it so it is comfortable. I am considering buying a different sling that is more easily adjustable and doesn't hurt my shoulder.

Elise

lenad
01-11-2005, 03:47 PM
So here is the info post-workshop. The ring slings were presented as not the most comfortable ones. I personally don't like the look of them anyway, but they seem so easy to put on when you see someone who knows how to use them do it (I would have had no clue on my own). Everyone (5 moms/babies) liked the wraps (the most comfy category). They lie on both shoulders and the waist (weight is distributed evenly) and are extremely versatile. I currently have a Moby (stretchy wrap) which is extremely comfy, easy to get the baby in and out, and the cheapest wrap out there. I would definitely recommend it as a good intro wrap, then you can go into other options all which cost more.

LD

caridura
01-11-2005, 10:10 PM
I recently bought a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Cotton Pouch (KKACP) and really like it. I got the cotton instead of the fleece pouch because I live in Florida and thought the fleece would be too warm.

It's comfy and baby likes it too. :)

Good luck with your choice. I know I was also overwhelmed with all the choices out there!!