PDA

View Full Version : Can we revisit topic of favorite slings, wraps and carriers? Esp. for infants...

mattysmom
01-26-2005, 01:51 PM
I know that a lot of us are due with #2 (or 3, or more) this winter/spring/summer, and are struggling over which double stroller makes the most sense. But, I am optimistically hoping that this DS will learn to love to be carried in a sling/wrap/carrier so that I can chase after DS #1 (who doesn't particularly love being strapped in a stroller).

I would love people's opinions on which carriers have worked well for them - especially for those who have nursed #2 and chased after a toddler.

Right now the slings/wraps/carriers that are most interesting to me include the cotton Zolo, the Hug-a-Bub, Mamma's Milk and Hotsling. I do have a KKAFP but with a spring baby I'm not sure this is the right one for me.

Thanks for any advice on this topic!

TereasaT
01-26-2005, 05:19 PM
With a newborn, my absolute favorite is a Hug-a-Bub. It is wonderful, and I still use it every day with my 4 month old son. It is so snuggly and comfortable. I can wear him for hours in this. With my one-shouldered slings and pouches, it starts getting uncomfortable after awhile. It is also very hands-free. I go the park with my 3 year old and can slide down the slides and climb on the easy structures wearing DS2 in the Hug-a-bub.

I also have a Zolo, a KKAFP and several Hotslings which I love, too, but if I had to choose one for that newborn and early infancy period, it would be a Hug-a-Bub. I haven't tried a Mama's Milk, but they do look beautiful.

Good luck,
Tereasa

mattysmom
01-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanks for your helpful reply! You make me feel more confident about the HAB. What color do you have? I'm leaning toward the black, even though it's almost summer, I'm a black/white/gray neutral kind of person (with a red Skip Hop - that was a big step for me!) I was also curious how the learning curve was for you? I'm not great with instructions.

Thanks again!

TereasaT
01-26-2005, 10:56 PM
I have the Berry with Hazelnut pocket. I ordered the Sage with Hazelnut first, but returned it. Normally, I wear very neutral colored clothes, but when I was pregnant for some reason, I wore very colorful clothes and chose some carriers that were full of color. If I had to do it over again, I probably would get black. I have a KKAFP in black and an Ellaroo wrap in black. I still have some colorful carriers, but if I had to pare it down, I would probably stick to neutral carriers. Be forewarned that black does show baby spit-up, lint, and animal hairs (if you have a pet). Check out http://www.cottoncradles.com. They have a wonderful return policy.

By the way, I have a Skip Hop (Denim), too. Don't you just love it?

Tereasa

mattysmom
01-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the input! I also like the deep purple with hazelnut pocket, but wonder if I would get tired of the color... I hadn't thought about the spit-up issue (how quickly we forget!) but it's machine washable, right? And I was planning on buying it from cottoncradles - I love their return policy - that you can sort of sell it back to them if you don't like it too! And that I can buy it now, but the return policy date doesn't begin until #2 arrives (so I can learn how to use it!) Did you nurse in it too? It seems like people say a ring sling is better for that... and that red or sage Zolo is calling my name!!

What color Zolo do you have?

Thanks again!

Laurelsmom2002
01-28-2005, 07:22 AM
I have the tan/cream HAB, and do like it quite a bit- I used it the most when ds was wee little and seemed to get lost in the mammas milk, I never managed to nurse in it, you make a pouch out of one of the shoulder "straps" and stick him in there an he HATED it. Now I use the mamas milk the most(Khaki), w/ black zolo as #2 (cause dh can use it as well since its a med) I've got 2 abcs coming to me (I think I have an addiction, but I figure I can sell after using them) I will say the zolo took more learning than the HAB,(the video is great) I had difficulty tightening it- (although you can do a search-and darien has great videos you can watch for that) Tightening got better after multiple washings- thanks to advice I recieved here so if you have problems post or search- someone will have an answer.

I did get my HAB from cotton cradle- great to work w/ Yes machine washable, it does get wrinkly though, and they say you can iron it but I havent quite had time for that :)

sugarsnappea
01-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Ok I had a Cotton Zolo for when DD #2 was a newborn, and it worked just fine. After DD was about 2 months I got a HAB, and LOVED it. As she got bigger, it was more comfortable to carry her wrap style than in a ring sling. But, the HAB too was short-lived. After she was about 9 months or so, she became so heavy that the HAB would sag and I would be constantly readjusting. It was still comfortable with a larger child, but the fabric just got really stretched because of the weight. I would tie it super tight, and then after a half-hour or so would have to retie. Now, I have an Ergo, and LOVE it. My DD is one year old, 21#, and enjoys riding on my back. I have 2 frame carriers that aren't comfortable at all. The Ergo is comfy, and can accomodate both my children. DH has carried our 3 1/2 year old around in it on vacation.

As for nursing, the Zolo was the only one that I could really do it in. HTH! :)

mattysmom
01-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the reply - it's interesting how different everyone's experiences are with similar things.

I was just curious to learn more about your Mamma's Milk sling - when did you start using it? Have you nursed in it? What style did you get (reversable with the built-in diaper bag?)

Also, which ABCs do you have coming?

I'm still a little overwhelmed, but plan to order to HAB soon and Zolo soon thereafter (want to see if there are any new spring colors).

Thanks!!

Laurelsmom2002
01-28-2005, 04:03 PM
I have the infanatly adjustable pouch, I started using it at about 4 wks when I got it 'cause I just couldnt figure out the zolo- It did make ds more patient when I would try the zolo though, like he now knew it would be ok. I haven't nursed in it, though not for lack of trying, but I'm not that endowed, and it gets to be too much fabric w/pouch/shirt that we both get frustrated. I do LOVE the pouch though, I get a ton of complements on it and it calms ds down fast, even after 4mo vaccines. Generally falls asleep in it.

I went on the kozy wait list, but got impatient, and ordered a sashi-light green brocaide- then my # came up on the kozy too-so i got that one too- the resale on both seems to hold their prices on the swap boards.
HTH