PDA

View Full Version : KKAFP vs. Hug-a-Bub

morgan47
01-29-2005, 02:39 PM
I bought a KKAFP based on the rave reviews on this board. I've used it a few times with my newborn (now 4 weeks old) and it seems to work well. However, it's not quite as ideal as I had hoped. First, it's hard to get the little guy in and out of there (especially when he's fussy), and he's small so he tends to get lost. I do prop him up with a blanket, which helps. Also, it starts to get pretty hot, and after awhile my back starts to hurt. My son seems to like it though and falls asleep nicely.

BUT...now I just read some posts about the Hug-a-Bub. This carrier looks better for what I want, though it's hard to tell. It looks like it would be easier to put the baby in, and better for my back (over both shoulders, not just one). It also looks like little babies won't get lost so much and I could be more at ease that he's not suffocating.

I don't want to spend more money on something that might not be as good as the KKAFP. Can anyone tell me about their experiences with the KKAFP and/or Hug-a-Bub? I need something that is easy to get my son in, easy on my back, and that makes me more mobile and hands free. I wish I had seen the HAB before I bought the KKAFP. I probably would've gone with that one.

Any opinions/suggestions? Thanks!

npace19147
01-29-2005, 03:10 PM
If you want to try a two-shouldered stretchy wrap you might want to try the Moby - it's a lot cheaper. I used that when my DD was little and she loved it. IMO, a lot of it depends on how long you're going to be carrying them for. A pouch is good for in-and-out type trips, but if the baby's going to be in there for any length of time it can hurt your shoulder. A wrap would be better for that. There is more of a learning curve to a wrap, but nothing overwhelming.

lenad
01-29-2005, 05:51 PM
I second the PP. I got a Moby as my intro wrap, and though everyone says how there is a learning curve to wraps I got it to work great the first time (in fact I am having biggest problems with pouches). Moby is nice and cushy but also stretchy, so it's easty to get the baby in and out, and you can adjust it even if you don't get it on just perfectly. The stretchiness also works great for a little baby falling asleep--I used to simply tuck my DD's head in and we would both be comfy. (Oh, and it's only 30$, compared to HaB which is almost 3 times as much.) My DD is now about 15lbs and I find non-stretchy carriers easier on me, but Moby was terrific early on (and my DH will still only use the Moby if he uses a carrier at all).

Here is a great comparison of the two:
http://www.cottoncradles.com/hugabubvsmobywrap.htm

HTH,

LD

mgrynsztejn
01-31-2005, 12:53 AM
Well, I have both and like them for different reasons. I like that the KKAFP is so easy to put on or to take off. I also think it is relatively compact, so will stick it in my diaper bag. It's also really warm and snugly. However, I can find it difficult to put DS in the KKAFP or to take him out without assistance from my DH. Sometimes it's a tight fit. The HAB is super cute, and I get compliments on it all the time. It's very comfortable to wear, and does a great job of distributing weight across my back. It also comes with a great video showing you all the different ways to wear it. However, it is difficult to put on in public. Not difficult as in hard, but difficult as in inconvenient. There is a lot of material which inevitably ends up touching the ground, and you need to have both hands free to put it on. However, once I have it on, it's really easy to get DS in and out of it on my own. Also as he is getting heavier, I find that I don't like the stretchiness as much, as after I've worn it for a while, he seems to start "sinking" in the sling.

HTH

morgan47
01-31-2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks! That comparison at cotton cradles actually makes me want the HaB more than the Moby. It looks like they have a good return policy, so maybe I'll try it out.