PDA

View Full Version : Bus/doctor trip with baby in NN (HELP!)

MeredithsMom
01-31-2005, 09:34 AM
Hi ladies--

I may be taking DD (6 mos) to my doctor's appt in March (what can I say, I like to obsess in advance) and will have to take the bus. The bus stop is very close to my apt, and the bus ride is very short. It seems like taking her in the New Native would be absolutely easier than struggling with some sort of stroller on the bus. BUT, what do I do with her once I'm at the appointment? It wouldn't be a problem if it were her appointment, but it's mine, so she'll have to be out of the carrier. Most people I see at the doctor's are coming with cars and the kids sit in strollers while they get examined. Do you think someone at the doctor's office will hold her? Am I insane to take a baby on the bus in a carrier anyway? Ack!

Any tips? Sorry if this isn't the best place to post this--I though maybe some carrier afficionados might have tried this before. :-)

betsydenny
01-31-2005, 12:46 PM
hi Joyce,
I have done this several times with DS. Carrier IS much easier than hauling a stroller on the bus. Once there a variety of things has happened. Usually someone does offer to hold the baby. Another time I just had him on the examining table with me. When I was preggo with DS I brought DD to the ob with me several times and often just held her on my chest when being examined- maybe not so easy with a squirmy 6 mo old.

Dunno what your stroller collection looks like but our Volo gets lots of use at Dr's offices. Esp once your DD is mobile it is worth investing in a light umbrella stroller that you can get on the bus and then keep her strapped in to at your destination.

Good luck!
Betsy

MeredithsMom
01-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks, Betsy!

I feel like it's such a weird situation I'm in, at least here in PA (I'm from NYC). You mean we dared to have kids and don't have 3 cars??? LOL.

I actually was thinking of buying a Volo (we have two 16 lb strollers-- a Silver Cross Camden and a Bugaboo, no-nos for the bus) for the very purpose of riding the bus and then having DD strapped in at the doctor's. Do you think I'd be able to carry her and the Volo onto the bus okay? It seems like I would, but I wonder if I could unfold the stroller while still holding DD. I also know that most younger babies don't like the Volo, but for such a short trip it seems like it'd be perfect.

Thanks for answering--I'd love any tips on the Volo if you have time.

:-)

lizamann
01-31-2005, 03:00 PM
We've been riding the bus several times a week since dd was a month old, always with a carrier and never a stroller. It's the only way to go, as far as I'm concerned!

As for the dr. appt., I suppose it depends on what you're being examined for. When I went to the dermatologist for a knee problem, I was able to hold dd and just show my leg to the dr. But when I went for my post-partum checkup, it was much more extensive, and someone had to hold dd (Actually, I even had the carseat at that appt, but dd was WAY too fussy to hang out in it.) One of the nurses was glad to walk the halls with her.

At 6 months my dd was able to sit, but not move, so maybe you can put her on a blanket on the floor with some toys? Or get in a little tummy time? Chances are, the actual time you need her to be off your lap will be a small fraction of the time you're at the office, you know? You can hold her for the whole history discussion and the follow up and waiting naked in a cold room, but not for the literally 2 minutes that they need to look at you. Unless it's for something really intensive, of course.

MeredithsMom
01-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Beth--

That's a good point--that the doctor won't necessarily be examining me for very long. It's just for a pap smear (said he wanted to wait until 6 months post-partum to do that) so that takes seconds. It does seem like a carrier would be the easiest way.

Thanks again for the advice. I LOVE hearing that someone else has done this too. I feel like a pariah when I tell people I take the bus (gasp!). LOL

quikeye
01-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Hi just wanted to give you more of a thumbs up with the carrier & transit thing-- I'm in the bay area & take transit (bus, bart, muni) all the time w/ a carrier (several times a week) and greatly prefer it to using a stroller (babe doesn't like it, and nothing worse than squeezing in a strolelr in rush hour, standing room only trains & having everyone secretly hating you for rolling over their toes)...

Don't have any real advuce re: the appointment (other than letting babe play on a blanket or being held by a nurse), but you may want to call the office & ask just to allay any fears you may have about it. I'm sure a nurse may help you hold her for a few minutes even :)

Good luck! Don't go buy a stroller just for the appt! :) just imo of course!

npace19147
01-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Hi Joyce,

Where in PA are you? I'm in Philly - luckily I can walk to most of my appts so haven't had to deal with the bus issue...

MeredithsMom
01-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Thank, quikeye. I totally agree that a carrier is much easier on public transit! I'm also thinking that since my DD will be over 7 months at the appt that she MIGHT be able to sit on a blanket in the corner of the office for the second it'd take me to get examined. Heck, she'd probably lay on one for a minute now. I'm feeling much better about the whole thing--I'm not the only one who's kid isn't perpetually in a bucket seat. :-) Woo-hoo!

MeredithsMom
01-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Hi Nancy,

I'm in Wynnewood. I walk everywhere with DD during the week (into Narberth, to the grocery store, etc.) but for the doctor we go to Lankenau (one 5 minute bus ride--I went all the time for prenatal visits). So far we've been lucky and gotten rides for doctor's visits, but that may not always be the case. Do you live in Center City? We are just renting now (moved her one month before DD was born, DH is from Main Line) and wondering where we'll end up owning. I REALLY miss Manhattan so Center City life (what little I know) is appealing to me. :-)

npace19147
01-31-2005, 04:27 PM
We do live in Center City, down in Wash West. It's great with an infant - it has really saved my sanity many times being able to just walk out the door and see other people. :) Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Also, it looks like our DD's are around the same age - mine was born preemie and was due Aug. 16 - maybe we could meet up! I've never met another BBB mom IRL. :)

MeredithsMom
01-31-2005, 05:09 PM
So there ARE people with kids in the city. The in-laws have me convinced that the suburbs are the only option--LOL. I hear you about seeing other people; I get excited just going to the post office and having random strangers talk to me (and I'm not a chit-chat with strangers type usually!).

My DD was due August 8th and born the 12th. We should meet up someday! I'll have to get brave enough for the steps up into the train at our station. DH says that in Center City the train is on a platform like in NYC, but in Wynnewood there are few steep steps up into the train. If not for that, I'd have been exploring the city already! :-)

beckyr88
01-31-2005, 06:44 PM
Just wanted to chime in on the carrier/Volo combo. Once DD got too big for me to comfortably sling her for hours ;) , I would go on the bus/el with DD in the sling and then use the volo to alternately carry her or the diaper bag. Good luck! The Volo is compact enough collapsed to go on the crowded bus, and there is a shoulder strap to lug it on and off. I wouldn't get one just for your appointment, but if you may be using the bus often, it is a good option!

npace19147
01-31-2005, 07:46 PM
There are lots of people with infants in the city - the population gets a lot smaller when they get to school age.

I'd love to meet up. You also might be interested in the babywearing group I'm starting up - it will have lots of options to try on! Email me at [email protected] if you want info, or just to try to meet up.

MeredithsMom
01-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Oh! That was you! I saw the post on Baby Wearing Swap today and sent an e-mail (mttemple4 etc). Cool! Keep me posted. I don't know anyone with slings at all here!

npace19147
01-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Too funny - it is a small world!

betsydenny
02-01-2005, 07:54 AM
Hi Joyce,
My DS who is 5 months got his first trip in the volo yesterday bc DD who is 2 demanded to walk. He did great. I did have the lower part of his snuzzler with me so he was cozy- a blanket would have sufficed as well just to tuck in the sides- but he was in there for more than an hour (we are in NYC) and he even snoozed for a while so I am pretty psyched!

I definitely think you could carry your DD and the volo onto the bus because I carry my DS, the volo, a backpack, and hold my daughter's hand as we go down and up our 3 flights of stairs each day. Yes a bit tricky, but we have figured it out. The volo has a shoulder strap which makes it very easy and unfolding is a breeze- just a clip on the right hand side. I unfasten and shake the stroller a bit and open it pops. very easy to do with a small one in your arms- even if you are chasing a toddler down the street in the process!

I agree it isnt worth buying a stroller for one apt, but if you plan to use the bus frequently, I highly recommend the volo as a super lightweight umbrella. I never bothered with the accessory kit as I have other strollers with that stuff so it is a great bare bones stroller.

BTW think that the 2004 volos are on sale around here for $69. That is a great deal considering I paid $99!

Good luck!
Betsy

MeredithsMom
02-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi Betsy--

Thank you for the information! Surely if you can wrangle two kids and a Volo, I should be able to handle one! I also think my 6 mo old can do well in the Volo for a limited time--she has never met a stroller she doesn't like. Her motto is "keep moving and nobody gets hurt." :-)

I think I may get the Volo; even if I ultimately use a carrier for some bus trips, we'll certainly want a lighter stroller for when Meredith is older and riding only occasionally. I also have 50 BabyStyle bucks, so if I get a 2004 I can get a Volo for $29.99, a 2005 for $59.99. Now I just have to figure out if I need that hood (or the pink color!) on the 2005.

Thanks again for being so helpful!

new_mommy25
02-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Everytime I have gone to the doctor with DS the nurses have been bursting at the seam for a chance to hold DS. So there is a chance that they will just hold your DD while the doctor examines you.