PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever try the "hipseat"?

chlobo
02-04-2005, 09:14 PM
http://www.hipseat.com/

How did you like it?

Momof3Labs
02-04-2005, 09:28 PM
$109??? Yowza!

Haven't tried it, but you can probably find something nicer for half the price.

chlobo
02-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah, its expensive. I was just wondering about the "concept". So many things seem good on paper, IYKWIM?h

TereasaT
02-05-2005, 12:52 PM
I haven't tried it or seen it in real life, but does the child just sit on it, and you still have to support him or her with one arm at all times. I would prefer a sling, pouch or a mei hip carrier. That way, you can get the support, but also you can be hands-free when you need to be.

Tereasa

new_mommy25
02-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Supercalifragulous posted a review a few months ago. She loves it.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=62&topic_id=6077&mesg_id=6077&listing_type=search

betsydenny
02-07-2005, 02:52 AM
There is another one called Hippy chick. Could only find UK websites for it just now but I know I have seen it in a catalog or online here in the US. And even with the exchange rate, the UK one is cheaper than hipseat.

supercalifragilous
02-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks for posting that link for me Angie! Saved me from looking it up again! :) I rarely come in on these boards anymore (get too tempted)!! :p

Yes, we still use ours and DD is almost 30 lbs and we LOVE it. We stash it in the stroller basket just in case. came in super handy at the airport too. Basically we encourage DD to walk and it's great for when she gets tired but yes, you do need one hand supporting her back.

The reason why I got it was b/c DD wants up/down a lot and I like her running off and doing her own thing but just need the weight support when she wants to be held. And when she's sick she's super clingy and it's perfect for that b/c I can set her down as soon as I need my arm back.

One thing, it doesn't fold up easily b/c it's bulky, but I don't mind it. I love that it's SUPERfast to put on/take off and it's VERY secure and it fits ALL sizes. My mom, who's a tiny little lady and a little on the frail side, LOVES it so she can carry her only granddaughter. DD loves to be held by Grandma! Otherwise, she couldn't lift DD.

Just today I got an e-mail from HippyChick (I'll also post on its own thread) - they're having a SUPER sale. Basically it's the same concept but the sizing is a little more limited. Bigger gals may need to buy the extension. I'm thinking about getting one that I can leave at Grandma's.

Here's the e-mail with the sale info:

Hi,

My wife Elizabeth and I would like to thank you for
buying your Hippychick Hipseat from us, and hope you
are getting lots of comfort and use out of them.

We aren't really a company, just a couple that found a
product we loved and wanted to share it with others
and maybe make a bit of spending money.

We are down to the last 20 seats, in dark red, navy
and olive, and will not be ordering any more. The US
dollar is so weak, that it just isn't worth the
investment.

We would like to offer you and your friends a chance
to buy the last Hipseats for $35 each, plus shipping.
That's nearly 50% off what it would cost to buy one
from the UK, so this is a great deal.

Please help spread the word about this offer, Hipseats
make great gifts for friends, sitters, grandparents,
anyone!

Just let us know how many you'd like, your color
preference and your mailing address. Paypal only,
please. Shipping is $6 in the US, $8 to Canada, and
$10 overseas.

Thanks,

Jody and Elizabeth Flemming
828-279-8218

For more info on the Hippychick Hipseat:
www.hippychick.com

hjdong
04-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Hi - I'm really interestd in this carrier, but can't figure out how to get this price. The e-mail seems to be from US source, but the Hippychick website if U.K. Am I missing something? Am I too late? Help! Please!

TIA,

pillysuss
04-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Hi,

Saw your posting and thought I'd chime in. I bought a navy Hippychick a month or two ago from the Flemmings and my husband and I love it! Probably wouldn't have bothered getting one at full price, but for $35 I figured it was worth trying. The Flemmings live in the US and it is US$35, which is about almost half of the original cost when converting from UK currency.

It has saved my DH's arms and back since he has done the lion's share of carrying our DS around to keep him happy. Yes, you do have to keep one arm around your child, but it is possible to do one-handed tasks--we've been known to empty the dishwasher, do laundry, etc. while wearing it. I think it is especially good for husbands who aren't partial to wearing other types of soft baby carriers. And also for babies who like/need to be carried alot (although they should have good head control first--4 months and up). I can also see where it would be very handy for toddlers who want up and down all the time.

I've found it very useful during the winter for getting my now 8-month old baby from the car into the mall, house or wherever, and also for quick errands when I don't want to fuss with a stroller or tying on a wrap. When I go to the mall, I carry my DS inside on one hip and my Maclaren Volo on the other shoulder and then take off his winter wear before putting him in the stroller. This saves me having to buckle and unbuckle him into the stroller numerous times, and gets us indoors out of the cold much more quickly. I find I can even keep it on while I drive--the shoulder-seatbelt goes just underneath it.

I had an e-mail address for the Flemmings but seem to have lost it. Anyways, if you're interested, just call their number and hopefully they'll have some left. Good luck!

gour0
04-07-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm so bummed. I looked at the extensions and it says "not suitable for pregnant women". :(

hjdong
04-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Thanks - I was able to get one!

cinrein
04-08-2005, 02:49 PM
I can't figure it out. How did you get the $35 price? I'm only getting pounds and it doesn't covert to $35.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

pillysuss
04-08-2005, 08:20 PM
The US$35 is if you buy it from the Flemmings. As far as I know they are not directly connected to Hippychick but simply have a bunch of brand new Hipseats that they brought back here from the UK and are now selling off at a reduced price. If you convert the original price as shown on the Hippychick website from pounds to US$ the price is almost double (ie. 35 pounds = $66). So this is a really good deal! I'm not even sure you can get Hippychick to ship them here and I haven't heard of anyone else selling them in the US.

ilovetivo
07-13-2005, 12:12 PM
supercalifragilous - did you ever get the HippyChick version too? How do the two hipseats compare? Thanks!

Has anyone else tried them both? (HippyChick and HipSeat.com both have their own versions.)

I left a message for the Flemmings in case they still have some.

Thanks!