PDA

View Full Version : Ergo carrier vs. frame backpack - anyone try both?

chlobo
02-04-2005, 09:16 PM
I currently have a frame backpack. I find it somewhat uncomfortable. I'm very interested in the Ergo carrier. Is there anyone who has tried both and can tell me what they think?

TereasaT
02-05-2005, 01:18 AM
I have tried both, and I personally find the Ergo carrier much more comfortable. My frame backpack was from Babies R Us so I'm not sure how it compares to say a Kelty Kids one as I've heard good reviews about them. That said, I find carrying with the Ergo effortless. The frame backpack alone seemed heavy to me. I did like the fact that you could preload the child into the frame backpack, and then put the backpack on. It seemed safer and easier to me with a younger child.

It is easy to get an older child on your back with an Ergo, but it is a little bit tricky to get my 4 month old into it. I'm finding with practice, it is getting easier and easier. I also like that you can fold the Ergo up into its pouch when not in use. It's not tiny, but it is definitely much smaller than a frame backpack.

That said, I still love my MT's for back carries, too.

Tereasa

Nora
02-11-2005, 10:13 AM
No comparison, IMO - the Ergo is SOOOOO comfy. I've worn it for 3-4 hours straight before and not had any pack pain or been uncomfortable in the least. DH thought he would prefer a framed backpack for hiking, walking, airports...but he now will always choose the Ergo also. So we have a nice Kelty framed backpack carrier collecting dust. I must say the framed backpack was nice for Olivia's sake when she was samller - she is on the short side and couldn't see over our shoulders in the Ergo.

Niki_n_Abby
02-11-2005, 11:32 AM
I've used both and hands down the Ergo is better/more comfortable for both of us. I had a Kelty carrier that was as comfortable as a frame pack can be but it was very bulky and pulled at my balance. I had to be very careful when hiking up hill or bending down or we would both topple over.

The Ergo is AWSOME!! So much more comfortable for both Abby and I. I've used it front and back and NEVER had any back, neck or shoulder pain and I wear it for hours on end. My dd currently weighs 26 lbs and it is still no problem to carry her. It is not bulky, does not effect my balance at all and I can and have used it everywhere. From hiking in the woods, to the mall to the grocery store. My dd is much happier in it as well. The kelty bascially had her just hanging and she would get marks on her legs and not stay in it for very long. She will go hours in the Ergo and even fall asleep in it.

It is very easy to use. Just buckle around your waiste, put baby in, pull up straps and go. No strapping, adjusting, tying, just easy.

HTH!
Niki

Narry
02-13-2005, 04:02 PM
HI!

I love my Ergo as well! The advantages to a frame backpack (as someone mentioned as well) is that it's very portable in that it's so much smaller than a frame backpack.

A frame backpack can be very useful too in some situations. Like when I am doing some hiking, and I think I might want a break, I can take the frame backpack off and rest with the baby still contained in the carrier. I have 2 Kelty Kids that were given to me (one older and one newer) and I like them both for hiking. I just think that it offers a bit more support and adjustability for a good fit. Oh yes, and living in AZ, it also offers sun protection.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Narry
Proud and happy mom to Parker, born 12/17/2003