PDA

View Full Version : Hotsling a good sling for a newbie?

jennifer_r
02-10-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm having a bit of a hard time slinging my 5.5 month old. We've recently started and I find it very difficult to put her in it. I have an OTSBH (someone recommended it to me) but now upon my research it seems that it is more difficult to use, steep learning curve, etc. Thanks to these boards, I found hotslings - I really like the way they look (was never impressed w/OTSBH fabrics). It seems they may be easier to use - don't have to worry about adjusting as long as I get the sizing right, not nearly as much padding, etc. Would it be a good sling to get for someone who is quite inept at this sling thing?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif[/url] 5 months and counting!

Momof3Labs
02-10-2005, 12:24 PM
IMO, no. Sizing is so critical, and the lack of adjustability really limits the hotsling. I'd suggest an adjustable pouch instead - at least you can play around with it until it feels right, or change the sizing as your needs and baby's size change.

nitaghei
02-10-2005, 12:56 PM
It could be. IF, big IF - you get the size right. Like you, I started with the OTSBH and just could not get it to work. Then I tried the Hotsling, and I fell in love with slings and have a nice little collection now. That first cotton Hotsling is the one I ended up using the most. But, I got the size wrong first time (too small); second time it was the right one, and it was great. I started using the Hotsling when my DS was about 5.5 months, too.

If you go the Hotsling route, read the measuring instructions carefully, and speak with Kirsten before ordering. She is very good about doing custom sizing, or was, when I got mine (I have 2).

An adjustable sling, as Lori says, is more forgiving about sizing. I love my MnM adjustable pouch. But the Hotsling is still my favorite sling. Among other things, I love that I can just fold it and stick it in my pocket. Nothing else is quite that compact.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

betsydenny
02-10-2005, 01:12 PM
I might also recommend the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch for a newbie. I am just learing this sling this with my second child and found the KKAFP much easier to manage as I was learning than the hotsling. I do have a hotsling and I do love it however, for longer periods and esp at teh beginning as I was learing the different carrying positions, I preferred the stretch of the KKAFP and the adjustablility. Checkk the BabywearingSWAP board on yahoo.groups as they come up for sale fairly regularly.

Also, if you live anywhere near NYC (I know you said NJ) there are some great sling workshops here in the city so you could try them out. I am occasionaly out near Princeton and could show you my collection (KKAFP, hotsling, Ergo and (Doodlebug mei tai on the way))however, I am in no way an expert and prob won't be out there till mid March sometime.

Good luck!Betsy

jennifer_r
02-10-2005, 03:06 PM
I was wondering what KKAPF stood for! Is the fleece hot though?

I am actually quite interested in a workshop, actually and probably wouldn't mind going into the city. I used to go in all the time until DD was born (my husband works there as well). How do you find out about workshops? I've actually been trying to do some research on the net and at babywearer but can't find the info - I figure I must be looking at the wrong area. Do you have links on workshops?

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif[/url] 5 months and counting!

betsydenny
02-10-2005, 08:22 PM
I find the fleece great however, it is winter. I think it will get less use in the summer but there is nothing like it in terms of stretch and comfort IMO.

A friend of mine does sling workshops thru her company MamaNurture.
their website is www.mamanurture.com I actually haven't been to any of her workshops but I know she is expanding the different types of slings for the demonstrations and to sell. Try her website for the next workshop. She may have some other links too.

You are also welcome to come in and check out my collection as well.
Betsy

jennifer_r
02-11-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't have the abbreviations down yet so stupid question but what does MnM stand for?

Thanks,
Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

nitaghei
02-11-2005, 02:04 PM
MnM is the Mom'n'Me Creations Pea in a Pod pouch.

http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/Our_Products.html

It's hemp fleece and adjustable. Not really available right now, except occasionally on Ebay. I like it better than the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch (KKAFP)- but they are very similar.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

myhannahbear
02-12-2005, 11:45 PM
As long as you email Kristen back and forth with sizing, the sizing should be fine and if it isn't she'll exchange it. You can even send her a photo of yourself with baby in the sling and she'll let you know if the size is right.

Kristen's customer service really is amazing. That is why everyone loves their Hotsling.

As far as non-adjustable pouches being unadjustable, that's not entirely true. You can fidget with the shoulder flip and other things for the best fit.

Also, other ring slings are much easier, more beautiful and enjoyable to wear than the OTSBH. So you can try another ring sling, too. (I, like many, believe that you should NEVER limit yourself when it comes to babywearing.)

HoneymoonBaby
02-15-2005, 10:07 PM
I Just got my hotsling (my first sling!!!) yesterday and I love it. I am the least coordinated person in the world and it only took me about five minutes of fussing with it to have it down pat. It's already second nature to me and my son loves it. Like everyone said,just be sure to get the sizing right, but that's not hard to do -- just follow Kristen's instructions and communicate with her if you have questions -- she'll respond within about 12 hours of any e-mail.