PDA

View Full Version : OMG I'm overwhelmed re: slings, carriers, & pouches! Need recommendation!

mom to little e
02-10-2005, 02:25 PM
PLEASE help!!
I can't even keep the different kinds of carriers straight, let alone all of the brands! We are going to Disney in a few weeks and I would love something to carry DS (15 ms/24 lbs/30in). I am about 113 lb., 5'3", petite frame and build (I have no idea what my torso is...average??)

I thought a Kelty, then thought Ergo, then thought Mei Tai. I can't make a decision at this point!

THANKS!
Casey &
Ean (11/06/03) the little love of my life

alaible
02-10-2005, 04:05 PM
I have an Ergo and a Mei Tai and like both for different things. We have used the Ergo for all day zoo outings and it was very comfortable for both me and my daughter. The Ergo is a little trickier for me to get my daughter into by myself without feeling like I am going to drop her but if you have someone there to help you that wouldn't be an issue. I like Mei Tai's for quick in and outs, or when I am putting the carrier on by myself, or for when I want a front carries. But for long distance carries on the back I would have to say the Ergo is my favorite.

TereasaT
02-10-2005, 05:04 PM
I love the Ergo for outdoor outings. I can't stand it when the ends of my MT straps are on the ground when I'm trying to put it on. I know that is just my issue. I am about the same size as you, and I cannot use the newer Ergo with the safety/comfort belt because then I can't tighten the waist belt to the tightest setting. I have one of the newer Ergos and use it with the safety/comfort belt just hanging down. I have contemplated cutting it off, but my husband uses it sometimes. I have an older Ergo without the belt, and I just use that one more because it looks messy with the safety/comfort belt just hanging down.

Tereasa

mom to little e
02-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Can someone share a link of where to buy the MT?

Casey
Momma to Ean...the little love of my life!

egoldber
02-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Another thought is to get a Maya Wrap Adjustable pouch. That would be a very easy way to do a hip carry for a 15 month old and would make for an easy "in and out" type of carrier. I'm assuming you would use the sling only for standing in lines and would use a stroller for longer periods of time.

You can see the Maya Pouch here:

www.mayawrap.com

I think that the Maya fabric would be perfect for Disney as well.

HTH,

npace19147
02-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi Casey,

MT stands for mei tai, which is a type of carrier rather than a manufacturer. There are many manufacturers of mei tai's, and each is a little different! Most people here rave about the Kozy carrier at www.kozycarrier.com - the only catch is there's about a one-two month wait list to get one! (I personally was not crazy about the Kozy, but I am in the definite minority on that.)

I have a Sachi mei tai that I love - www.sachicarriers.com and a Doodlebug mei tai as well - www.doodlebugboutique.com. There are tons of others listed at www.thebabywearer.com as well. Good luck! :)

mom to little e
02-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks for your suggestions...I am still trying to sort this out. I should have mentioned the carriers I have tried so far...

Baby Bjorn - tried this when DS was an infant. It was never too comfortable to me or DS (and now I've been "educated" re: the BB).

KKAFP - used when DS was younger and he seemed comfy but he got very hot. Became hard to carry him for long. Moved on to the Kozy instead thinking it would be better. Haven't tried this one again with DS as a toddler.

Kozy - liked how I can front carry DS and he enjoys it. BUT after about 45 minutes it really begins to kill my back. I also noticed my shoulders (traps) ache afterward.

I was thinking about the Ergo because I thought it might be less strain on my back (and I used to be so strong, lifting weights, etc.! Am I just a complete pansy now!!?)

Casey (whimp)

lenad
02-12-2005, 01:31 PM
I know this is not on your list, but have you thought of trying a woven wrap? They are the most comfortable and the most versatile carriers. Yes, there is some learning involved in using them, but it's really not bad, and they are sooo worth it. I have a Storchenwiege which I adore, but Ella Roo wraps are lighter, so would be better for your specific purpose.

LD

mom to little e
02-12-2005, 08:44 PM
At this point, I am willing to try anything!

I went ahead and ordered an Ergo this morning. I was thinking that I am going to have to try and see what I like. Of course, now that I ordered it I am thinking that a woven wrap sounds good. I read a few reviews and the Storchenwiege (love the name!) sound good as does the Ella Roo. Would love to find one on a swap board for cheap! :)

Thanks for all the help!
Casey

npace19147
02-12-2005, 09:01 PM
There's currently a co-op going on at the yahoo babywearing co-op group for the Ellaroo:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babywearingco-op/

It's good for 20% off and runs through Feb. 26 or so. Happy shopping! :)

lenad
02-12-2005, 10:47 PM
You might also try eBay (German eBay is good too, for German wraps, if you can deal w/ the language).

LD