PDA

View Full Version : Hotsling and Moby - Enough to get started with a newborn?

mharling
02-12-2005, 11:11 PM
I am a sling novice; have a Hotsling and just ordered a Moby. Are the 2 of these enough to get me started wearing my newborn? I am anticipating using them mostly around the house, but occasionally out and about while pushing ds in the stroller. What about breastfeeding in them? Is there anything else you would suggest or is this good enough for now? TIA!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little Miss - Due March 2!!

myhannahbear
02-12-2005, 11:34 PM
I loved a ring sling with a newborn and still do with my now ten-month old. At the time, all I had was a padded ring sling and I loved it. I didn't have a non-padded at the time, I have a few now:D and I love the unpadded. I think that I may still like lightly- padded better with a newborn.

tarahsolazy
02-13-2005, 10:22 AM
I would say yes! A Moby is fabulous for a newborn, esp around the house, you can pop her in, and chase Lane around. It is more hands-free than a hotsling. The hotsling can be great for errands, though, and becomes increasingly great around 3-4months. If I could only have one carrier for a newborn, it would be the Moby.

mharling
02-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Good to hear, Tarah. Thank you!! Did you nurse with the Moby?

Mary
Lane - April 2003

tarahsolazy
02-13-2005, 07:21 PM
I have not been able to nurse in any slings, unfortunately. We were all about the football hold for about a month, so I think I lost my nursing-sling window. Now, he won't NIP at all, since if a butterfly flaps its wings in the next county, he has to stop and check it out. I have two friends from Portland who were very sucessful nursing in the Moby. Another option is a ring-sling, like the PP suggested. They seem great for nursing, like the Maya Wrap or similar. Two of my new friends here in my new home nurse in theirs very easily. I tried one when Fory was about three weeks old and could not make it work! Now, I can use a ring sling just fine, but was too klutzy when he was tiny. You can get a very affordable and well designed one from Jan Andrea at www.sleepingbaby.net. That might be an alternative to the hotsling for the newborn period...

lizamann
02-14-2005, 03:30 PM
I think the Moby will be awesome - perfect for chasing Lane. The Hotsling will be very nice, too, for those times you don't want to bother with the Moby. As for nursing, that could be tricky in the Moby, especially hands-free. I have done it with Nora, but when she was more like 18 months, not a newborn! It gets easier when they can hold up their trunk and be upright. I think success depends on a lot of factors, so it's kind of impossible to predict whether or not it will work for you. Some people get it right away - I've had some mothers in workshops pop on the sling and get nursing 5 minutes after never having seen a carrier. Then some people try it for months and never get it.

My favorite sling for nursing early on was a ring sling, as others have mentioned. I loved an open tail sling for covering up with in public, whether I decided to cover my exposed belly or cover Nora's head.

We're having a sling playdate tomorrow at 11 on the NW side of the city (Alice's house), if you want to check out anything in particular! Email me for details.

mharling
02-14-2005, 11:03 PM
I have my OB visit tomorrow; otherwise I would consider joining you!! Thanks for your response. Off to contemplate a ring sling purchase..... :)

Mary
Lane - April 2003

nov04
02-19-2005, 12:53 AM
I just got my moby yesterday, its awesome. I really regret not getting this when she was as newborn, it would have helped so much.

mharling
02-19-2005, 05:21 PM
My Moby came on Wednesday and I am already in love. I was even able to get it on around my preggo belly and try it out with my toddler. He loved it, which made me even sadder that I didn't do much babywearing with him. I can't wait for Little Miss to be here to try it out!!

Mary
Lane - April 2003