PDA

View Full Version : Sling or Ergo or both for Toddler and newborn

angmoe
02-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Ok I have checked out babywearer and kangaroo korner and read the articles and the information here but wow it is so much to think about.
I am a larger sized woman and pregnant right now with baby due in April. I also have a 17 monrh old, who is about 28 lbs. I am thinking of trying a sling. I bought a bjorn a few months ago before I found this board and I am now regretting that.
I want a sling I like the look of the hotsling or KKAFP or KKACP the best. But I want something that can be used for the newborn and the toddler.
I was also looking at the Ergo.
So the question is do I need both a sling like the KK or hotsling and the Ergo or would one of those work for both and be comfortable?
I also need something that will work in warm and cold climates. I am guessing i need more than one thing for that as well.
I am trying to keep the cost down because DH does not think we need anything else. He can wear the most unomfortable carriers and be just fine with it. But I get uncomfortable very quickly in the cheap carrier we have now. I don't know what kind it is but it is a front pouch. I got the Bjorn because I thought they were supposed to be comfortable and now I am wondering.

Anyone have any ideas. Sorry so long.

betsydenny
02-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi. You ask lots of good questions.
My DD was 19 mo when DS arrived so I have been thru what you are about to go thru. I would say yes, you probably want a sling and the ergo. I didnt get the ergo till DS was about 5 mo and that is prob the earliest I would use it with him- I know there is an infant insert but I loved having him in the KKAFP when he was tiny- it was a great intro to slings. I now have a hotsling in addition to the KKAFP and Ergo and I use them each for different reasons but 2 of the three would probably be fine as well.

Obviously the KKAFP wouldnt be great in Miami in July. I did wear it all of September and Oct thru the winter in NYC with my DS and it was ok. Yes, sometimes we got hot. It probably depends wehre you live but hotsling might be better for summer and is also easy to use.

I do use my Ergo sometimes with DD who is now 30lbs but she is heavy there. Perhaps if I had used it all along I would be use to it but I find her heavy in any carrier for an extended period of time these days so mostly she walks or rides in the stroller. But the Ergo is fantastic for letting my little guy snooze and I can chase DD with both arms free! I love it!!

Anyway, I hope that helps. If I were you, I would retun the Bjorn if you still can or try to sell it on craigslist. Go for either the hotsling or KKAFP for your new infant. and Good luck!
Betsy

angmoe
02-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought I would want or need both.
Unfortunately I got the bjorn off of ebay so no return but I might just try it and then resell it later. DH probably will like it.
I am hoping he will not mind getting the KKAFP and Ergo since he said I coulfn't get another stroller, we just got the MBUD, and I wanted another one, single with a jump seat. He says we have a single and can carry whatever child is not riding. So I think I should be able to get both and he can not complain that either one takes up to much space.

Has anyone tried the KKACP is it very stiff, does the hotsling work better?

Also has anyone tried the Solarveil ring sling? I thought it looked good to take in the water, has nayone used it for that?

betsydenny
02-15-2005, 08:10 AM
That is how I sell my DH on carriers too! "Gee, dear the carriers certainly are cheaper than another stroller but here is the stroller I was looking at..." ;-)
Haven't tried the KKACP but the adjustablity would be a good thing as a beginning sling.
Good luck!
And BTW, I LOVE my MBUD! That and my Volo are my most used and adored strollers!

angmoe
02-15-2005, 10:49 PM
I am so glad to hear that you like your MBUD, it's so expensive to buy sight unseen.
I have changed my mind again and am now thinking of a cotton Sachi ring sling, I hope that it is easier to adjust for my size.

Thanks again for the advise.

alaible
02-23-2005, 06:27 AM
I have a solarveil ring sling and love it. We have a local sprinkler park near us and our playgroup met there lots last summer. My daughter would have been 6-9 months at the time. She wasn't walking yet and liked to get wet but wanted to keep her face dry. The solarveil gave her some extra sun protection, allowed me to hold her without aching arms, and I could control just how wet she got and was able to keep the water out of her face. We have also used it in a pool a couple of times and it worked great there, giving me a little extra security that a wet slippery baby wasn't going to slip out of my hands.