PDA

View Full Version : 18 mo. old, 24 lb, hip carry with hip belt?

stefani
02-15-2005, 01:36 AM
Hello,

I am looking for a carrier for carrying DS. He is almost 18 mo. old, and about 24 lbs. I like to carry him on the hip, but I found that the hip hammock is hurting my shoulder. I like the two shoulder style of mei tai, but it does not look that I can use a hip carry position.

Is there a carrier which has two shoulder straps, with a hip belt, but can be used for a hip carry position? I like something that will be easy to put on, and high poppability rating.

By the way, I am also petite (5'3") and short torsoed.

TIA.

Momof3Labs
02-15-2005, 02:31 PM
Try the www.meihipcarrier.com. It doesn't have two shoulder straps but has a much wider shoulder to better distribute the weight. I agree that the Hip Hammock is pretty painful!

quinnsmom
02-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Stefani,

I recommedn trying the mei hip carrier too. I just ordered one today adn am anxiously awaiting its' arrival. I believe there is a 2-3 week wait/turn around time.

It doesn't have straps for 2 shoulders - but is described as being very easy on the back/neck.

Karen of mei hip is really great too. I chose my own fabric for the mei hip that I ordered and sent it to her direct...and she was really great in answering all of my questions (there were many!) since I don't know anything about fabrics. She has always been real quick to repsond to my emails - she has been super helpful. EMail her from the link on the mei hip site if you have concerns about the carrier related to shoulder pain.

Also - have you considered a wrap? I know there is an Ellaroo wrap co-op going on with the Yahoobabywearingco-op. http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5286

I beleive there are at least 2 hip positions possible with a wrap.

HTH!