PDA

View Full Version : deciding between 2 carriers??

ileanap
02-15-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi
I'm looking for a lightweight carrier for when I go this summer to pick up my adoptive daughter in China. I don't know her age/weight yet so I'm looking at carriers that will hold older babies. Also I am going in the summer and it will be hot hot hot!! So the less material the better.
I've heard good things about the hip baby from Walking Rock Farm and also Ultra EZ baby carrier from One STep Ahead. I like both of them but the big difference is in the price!! Only $24.95 for the carrier from One STep ahead seems too good to be true. I don't mind spending the extra money for the other one, but what am I getting that is so much better?
Anyone try either or both of these carriers?

Thanks for any help

ileana

quinnsmom
02-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Ileans,

I haven't tried either of those carriers. But what about a wrap? I heard that the Ellaroo wrap is lightweight and great for the summertime. http://ellaroo.com/ They seem to be very versatile as far as choice in carrying positions.

Also - check out the Ellaroo co-op. If you are interested in buying one - you can get it at 20% off - I think payment is due by Feb 26th though - so you would have to decide soon. :)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babywearingco-op/

betsydenny
02-16-2005, 08:24 AM
I used the Walking Rock Farm hip carrier. It is very similar (slightly nicer materials and a better shoulder strap pad) than the Hip Hammock. However, the hip hammock is easier on and off because it has a clip on the shoulder strap.

That said I found them both uncomfortable for extended periods of time because they dig into your neck/shoulder as you are carrying- especually if you have an older/heavier child.

I would more recommend a hotsling or a ring sling with not too much fabric. Any way you carry a kid in the summer is hot and most carriers don't make a big difference (obviously dont get a fleece one) but beyond that I would search a bit on this board for hip carriers and other multi use slings.

Good luck and congratulations on your daughter!
Betsy

lenad
02-16-2005, 11:51 AM
How about a Mei Hip (http://www.meihipcarrier.com)? It has that wide over-the-shoulder strap and Karen also makes it in mesh, so it's really lightweight. You can get a buckle on it too. (I have one and really like it though at 4.5 mo my DD is still a bit small for it.)

What a wonderful event! Enjoy your new DD!

LD

ileanap
02-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and congratulations. I appreciate it. The reason I was concentrating on these 2 carriers also is b/c I wanted something DH would also feel comfortable wearing and I don't think he will do the wraps. That said, I did like the Mei Hip one so I think I will show him that and see what he says.

Thanks again!

ileana

Momof3Labs
02-16-2005, 06:03 PM
I tried the WRF hip carrier and it was downright painful on my neck after about 15 minutes with a 16lb baby. I've heard similar reviews of the cheaper carrier that you posted. If you want something DH-friendly, how about an Ergo or Sutemi carrier? Or even a Mei Tai carrier (to use in front)?

Rach3975
02-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Congratulations! I'd definitely wait and make a decision once you know your baby's age and, if possible, size. My son is now 16 months old, and I have used 3 different carriers to fit the different stages of his life. I had the Baby Bjorn when DS was a newborn, moved to the Hip Hammock when he was about 4 or 5 months old (mine is from back before Playtex bought it out, but it's essentially the same product), and now use a Walmart hip carrier (made by Infantino, but packaged by Walmart).

I loved the Hip Hammock early on, but there are 2 problems with it. First, carrying an older, heavier baby is tough on your shoulder, especially if you have to carry a diaper bag, too. Second, if the child you adopt turns out to be older and walking, I find it cumbersome to get DS in and out of the Hip Hammock so he can alternate between walking and being carried. The back support comes up very high, which was one of the best features when DS was younger but became the reason I stopped using it by the time he was 11 months old and walking well.

The carrier I'm using now is much cheaper, under $20, but it's perfect for the toddler stage. It goes around your waist (very wide belt, reminds me of a lumbar support belt) and has a fanny-pack like shelf for the baby to sit on. The carrier takes their weight, but your arm behind them keeps them from falling off. I know it sounds weird, but it's so easy to let them go up and down as much as they want. I don't know how comfortable it would be for an extended period, but it's perfect for a toddler who only wants to be carried 15 or 20 minutes at a stretch.