PDA

View Full Version : Is HAB worth the money vs. making my own?

Jenn98
02-18-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm pretty sure I want a wrap carrier in my collection (as well as either a KKACP or Mamma's Milk adjustable pouch). I like the Moby & the HAB. I like the Moby price better, of course! But I like the idea of less fabric width on the HAB for less bulk and heat - I'm due 7/31. I'm wondering if I should just go to the fabric store and make my own for a lot less. I just wanted to check with those who have HAB's to see if there is something I'm missing.

Am I being naive to think I can go get 6.5 yards of cotton jersey, cut it to be 18" wide, sew a quick hem and taper the ends and have it be pretty much the same as the HAB?

TIA!
Jenn
ps - I guess I should admit that I will be seeking out my mom's sewing skills on this one as I'm not an experienced sewer! ;)

lenad
02-18-2005, 04:44 PM
I went to a sling workshop, and they recommended just making a stretchy wrap by oneself. I already had a Moby at that point (but my DD was born in Oct), but I have seen HaBs on yahoo swap board, so you can clearly resell one if you decide to go for it.

LD

TereasaT
02-18-2005, 05:04 PM
I have a HAB and love it, but I'm not too sure it's worth the expensive price. If I had to do it over again, I still would get it because I don't sew, would be overwhelmed by trying to pick the right stretchy fabric, and I like the look of the pocket (although, if you don't get it centered perfectly, it doesn't look as nice).

I think you could do exactly what you posted except the key would be picking the right stretchy fabric. I've read posts about what a difference the stretchy fabric makes as far as comfort and sagging. I know nothing about this. Maybe you can check with the Yahoo Sling Sewing group, and see if they have any recommendations.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/slingsewing/

Tereasa