PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend some money.....

egoldber
02-25-2005, 09:46 PM
OK, so I am looking at the calendar and with 8 more weeks to go to my due date, I am feeling an urge to spend, LOL!

I already have:
Maya Wrap ring sling
Zolo cotton ring sling
Mom and Me pouch
homemade cotton pouch (my all time fav sling....)

(I have no desire for a KKAFP.)

I'm a little concerned that my homemade pouch may be too small for me initially (although I was 30 pounds heavier when I made it...) and am thinking a (cool) adjustable pouch may be useful.

Anyhoo...what would you buy to expand your carrier collection? I've been looking at a Maya Pouch, a Zolo pouch, the Moby and the HugaBub. But I could probably be persuaded in many directions. ;)

Thoughts?

Momof3Labs
02-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Beth, have you thought about or tried a mei tai like the Kozy Carrier? I don't know if it is as cozy for a newborn as a pouch, but can definitely see use beyond the first couple months of life. I believe that there are patterns out on the web if you want to make your own, or their are plenty of WAHMs who make these for a reasonable price - Sachi, Kozy and Freehand are mentioned the most, it seems.

If you decide that you want to try one before buying, you can borrow mine when Debbi (houseof3boys) is done trying it out. I'll just have her send it to you rather than sending it to me. Or I can bring it in May to the retreat. She also has my KKACP if you want to try that...

ETA: Or how about a Zolowear adjustable pouch? The burning love one is sooooo you, Beth! ;)

quikeye
02-26-2005, 12:58 AM
Nice collection already!

I agree w/ pp, a mei tai is nice to have. I fell in love w. mine (kozy) when babe was about 6-8 months, but to be honest now, all I've used for the past 5 months or so has been a pouch! They're just so greta for hip carry, and I'm not burdened by his weight (he is smaller chart wise than other babes his age, fwiw).

I love my chic papoose (which is probably comprable to your cotton pouch) and my mom and me too. If I had an extra bit for a new carrier, I think I'd splurge on an ergo to try & get dh to carry babe in more, and for me to be able to carry his easily on my back (I got the hang of it, but don't really like it that much in my kozy).

The zolo is intriguing as well, lately I've been wishing I could adjust the front rail on my pouch... esp since I don't use a ring sling & think I really miss out on it (if only I could get over that extra fabric!)

Sandy
02-26-2005, 02:16 AM
I have been thinking about getting a Mamma's Milk invisibly adjustable pouch. She has some beautiful fabrics and great reviews.

http://www.mammasmilk.com/pages/photos.php

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
and another peanut edd 4/21/05

new_mommy25
02-26-2005, 05:27 AM
FWIW, I love my Kozy. I use it almost exclusivly. I usually only use my ring sling when I am going to be bf'ing because it is easier. I have a few homemade pouches that I love but haven't used them in awhile. The Kozy *can* be used with an infant but in all honesty I don't think it is the best bet. However I would recommend getting one when your babe is a little older. When DS was a newborn I almost exclusively used the KKAFP or a ring sling though that is also because I did not own a wrap at the time. I'mnot sure what I would have prefered.

My vote is for the wrap. I know with my DS he only liked to be in the cradle carry and it is so easy to pop a baby in and out of a wrap. The Moby is a good choice. The Hugabub is pretty much the same thing only more expensive and with a fancy pocket. I do love the look of the HAB. If you want to go with a non stretchy wrap than a good inexpensive option is Mamawraps. http://www.mamawraps.com/ The website is actually owned by a friend of mine. She has carried her baby since she was a newborn exclusively in this wraps and they are awesome.

I had a adjustable Maya Pouch but it wasn't a favorite and I eventually sold it. No matter how I positioned it the zipper would dig into my shoulder. Now I do have bony shoulders do perhaps that is why. It wasn't unbearable but it wasn't too comfortable and I was constantly having to adjust. I also didn't think the pouch was deep enough for me though I did get it when DS was a toddler. I just prefer a deeper smile :) I have heard that the KKACP aren't that comfortable either because the snaps can dig into your shoulder.

Sorry so long. HTH.

npace19147
02-26-2005, 06:40 AM
I second the recommendation for a stretchy wrap, my DD loved hers for the first few months. Then when she got heavy we moved on to mei tai's. While I love my Sachi mei tai now, and I know people do use them with small babies, I would be concerned about the lack of head support for a very young infant. Besides, you need to leave somewhere for the carrier obsession to grow, KWIM? :)

We liked the Moby wrap - very comfy and not too much $$. My theory was that we'd try out the stretchy with the Moby and if we loved it spend the big bucks on the HAB. We never got to that point, since when DD got heavier and better head support we moved on to mei tai's.

Good luck & have fun!

papal
02-27-2005, 09:23 AM
I would say a Wrap BUT it is going to be summer and you will be very uncomfortable using it.. way too warm for the summer. Also, bfing in a Moby might not be the easiest.
I don't think a Kozy type of carrier is great for a newborn but after a couple of months (when they have head control), it would be great. I am not sure about the whole sitting vertically thing though for a new baby.
Honestly, my top choice would be the Maya ring sling followed by the MnM (might be too warm for it though) , but you already have those. ;)
hmm.. how about a solarveil sling so you can go to the pool? Might be a little scratchy for a newborn though. If you want to try one, i have one you can borrow.

houseof3boys
02-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Let me know since I was going to send it back this week (have to send DH to post office to get a priority mail box)!!!

I liked the KKAFP, but it is too similiar in comfort to my MNM so I don't really *need* another one like it. I liked the Mei Tai too after lots of practice, but I want something more suited for a newborn and I didn't think it was that comfy to be hands free with her while trying to watch after a crazy toddler.:)

FWIW, I think I am getting a Moby since I keep reading that it is great for a newborn.

babynell
02-27-2005, 02:07 PM
I attended a "traditional carrier" babywearing class yesterday and now I really want a non-stretchy wrap (for back carry) and also a podaegi. Have you looked at any of those?

Marilyn

sugarsnappea
03-01-2005, 09:26 AM
First off, your Zolo should be pretty useful in the first few weeks. I used mine a lot for around the house type stuff.

I LOVED my HAB for the first 8 months. After that, Noraa was too big to carry around for extended periods. The fabric would stretch out and the baby would sag. It became a pain to re-tie the entire wrap every time this happened. I never found it to be too hot, I wore it throughout the summer here.

I bought an Ergo when Noraa was about 11 months. This is my current fave. I am quite comfy wearing it and Noraa really enjoys the ride. In fact, on a recent trip to Florida DH wore JG in it and was quite comfortable as well.
Good luck with your decision! :)

nitaghei
03-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Not that I have one :), but a strechy wrap seems to a nice way to round off the collection!

And if you want to try a Kozy, you're welcome to borrow mine.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

cinrein
03-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Beth, I have a Zolo pouch you are welcome to try out. It's a size small. I barely used it---was suffering from wishful thinking when I bought it. :(

Cindy and Anna February 2003

SlingMama11
03-02-2005, 08:35 PM
I loved my Hug a Bub when my son was a newborn. Mobywrap is nice but I love the fabric of the Cuddlywrap. It feels so soft.

What about a Hotsling pouch?

TereasaT
03-03-2005, 02:48 AM
I do think you need some 2 shouldered carriers in your collection. A stretchy wrap is wonderful with a newborn. I had the Hug-a-bub and preferred the narrower width and the look of the pocket. You can't do back carries with this as the width is too narrow, but I prefer a woven wrap for back carries. I started wearing my son on my back when he was 2 months old. I've heard of moms who do it when their children are even younger, but I couldn't get up the nerve. It is amazingly freeing to be able to wear your baby that young on your back. You can go about your daily activities with the baby not blocking the front and 2 hands completely free. Check out http://www.mamatoto.org

I also agree with the previous posters about maybe getting a MT. Although, they are better for when your baby gets a little older.

Tereasa