PDA

View Full Version : do I need a solarveil sling for the summer?

kaylinsmommy2
02-26-2005, 02:02 PM
What do you use your solarveil sling for? Do you like it? I live in Southern California but rarely go to the beach (what a shame, I know!). I'm also not really a pool person. But I do expect to spend time outdoors this summer with DD - at the zoo, at parks, taking walks, etc.

Do I need a Solarveil sling? (Kristen says she's coming out with a Deluxe Pool Pouch at Hotslings soon!) Since DD won't be naked most of the time (I do hope to take her swimming a few times, but probably not more than just a handful of times) we may not need the sun protection (since most of her body that isn't wearing clothes will be out of the sling - head, legs - in the hip carry position). Alternatively, the Kolomo Solarveil mei tai looked like it would offer so much more protection across legs and arms, but I'm not sure she's actually making Solarveil anymore. I am the worst at making decisions! :P Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

papal
02-27-2005, 09:27 AM
I don't think you *need* it. But if you are going to be in the pool a lot, it would be nice to have.. dries really fast and offers UV protection. However, it is a but 'scratchy'.. so my hesitation to recommend it for general out and about activities... especially because babies wear shorter clothes and the leg rail digs into their thighs.
I think a Maya type of sling is nice and breezy and would be a great sling for the summer.

egoldber
02-27-2005, 09:39 AM
I really dislike solarveil fabric and can't imagine wearing a baby in one, but I know that many people like theirs. I also don't think a solarveil sling is necessary for sun protection. I think that ANY fabric sling will offer enough sun protection for your babe.

I agree that the Maya fabric is wonderful for hot weather. Its a wonderful woven cotton that is strong, yet breathable. Not everyone likes the Maya, but its my favorite ring sling. They also have a pouch.

HTH,