PDA

View Full Version : Help me love my sling

newmama4
02-26-2005, 09:51 PM
Hi
I've been lurking and reading for a while and need some help. I have a sachi mei tai which I love - my DD has been able to hold her head up from day one, and now she is 24" long, (and 3 months) so it works great for us - though it does take some time to put on.

The thing is, I also have a ring sling (oopa baby) which I love the look of, but am having a hard time using. The ring part digs into my shoulder. Am I using it wrong - or does this happen to everyone? My DD doesn't like the cradle hold, so we have been trying the kangaroo and hip holds, but they are uncomfortable. Help! Also, I would like to be able to NIP in a sling - is this possible? Should I get a different sling/pouch? Suggestions?

Thanks - I really enjoy this forum!

Elise
Hannah Meira's Eema (11/16/04)

egoldber
02-27-2005, 09:48 AM
OK, those Oopa Baby slings are gorgeous LOL! They do seem to have a LONG tail though, which may be making it harder to adjust. The more fabric you have to futz with, the harder it is, IMO.

It sounds like you a) may not have the rings in the right place, b) may not have it spread out smoothly over your shoulder, c) you may not be wearing your baby high enough, or d) some combination of the above.

In general, you want the rings to be where you would wear a corsage. But that is not a hard and fast rule, so play around with the positioning. Make sure the sling is smooth across your back and not twisted. You also don't want the sling bunched at your neck, you want it to cup your shoulder. And your baby should be high, generally above your hips, not low.

But not all slings work for everyone. People here rave about the Zolo ring slings and I have one and am not very fond of it. I love my lowly Maya Wrap, which is generally dismissed here. If you can find a local babywearing group (LLL, API, a babywearing seminar, etc.), that would be really helpful. A lot of ring sling wearing is subtle technique stuff, which is hard to pick up from a video or pictures on a website.

HTH,

newmama4
02-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am not exactly sure where a corsage hits - I had the wrist kind when I went to prom oh so many years ago!

I would love to find a baby wearing group - I live in South Jersey though, on "the Shore", as we like to call it, and there are none that are close bye. The sling is georgious - I guess I will try to use it more around the house, so we can get more used to it and maybe when I can go to LLL, I can get some help.

By the way, I mainly keep DD in the snugride when we go out b/c she falls asleep in it and I like to leave well enough alone. However, now she is 24inches long (definitely not from my short genes). When we switch to the other kind of car seat do you have any recomendations about other types of easier wraps to get on and off that might be quicker then the mei tai but just as comfortable to use? I think maybe she really just likes being vertical more then cradled. But who knows, it all changes so fast.

Thanks again for your help!
Elise
Hannah Meira's Eema (11/16/04)

npace19147
02-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi Elise,

If you ever get to Philly, we're trying to get a babywearing group going here...that's a bit far for you though, I would guess!

As far as quick in and out, you might want to check out a Hotsling - esp. as your DD gets bigger it's great for hip carry, and she might like kangaroo carry front facing out. Good luck!

newmama4
02-27-2005, 11:25 PM
I would love to come to Philly for a babywearing group - it depends where in Philly it is. We live in Margate, so it's not that far (or at least it wasn't before DD was born!)

Keep me posted, and I will check out a hotsling.
Thanks,
Elise

npace19147
02-28-2005, 07:30 AM
Here's our Yahoo group info:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babywearinginphiladelphia/

I think our next meeting's going to be on March 8, and then the 22nd - we're trying to do every other week. We meet in Center City, b/c that's where I live. :) Hope you can make one!

-Nancy