PDA

View Full Version : Getting baby on my back in a Kozy

kristenk
02-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, I said "baby" in the title, but she just turned 1. She's getting to be such a big girl! :)

I'm having trouble getting her on my back in the Kozy. The few times I tried, I could get HER on my back but I felt like an idiot when I couldn't get the straps up and over her and the body of the Kozy in place. I've had luck getting the Kozy set up on the couch/bed, then placing DD on the Kozy, tying the bottom straps around my waist and then pulling the top straps into position and standing up/jiggling to actually tie. The problem with this is that I don't always have a couch or bed handy when I'd like to have her on my back and she ends up so low on my back that she doesn't seem to be having any fun at all. I've tried getting her on my back via couch method and getting that all tied, then untying the waist straps and retying them up higher on my chest and then untying the top straps, repositioning DD up higher (like the high back carry) and then retying the top straps. I KNOW that there has to be an easier way, though! Can anyone offer any guidance?? Thanks!

Oh, I forgot to say that I can get DD on my back with the Ellaroo without a problem. I think it all stems from my inability to get the top straps & body of the Kozy correctly positioned over my DD.

Kristen

npace19147
02-28-2005, 01:22 PM
I have just recently started trying to put DD on my back with a mei tai and I have had good luck with the "toss" method, which seems scarier than it is. There are many good posts with info on this at thebabywearer.com, but the general idea is this:

place baby on the mei tai with the top straps under her arms

hold both straps in one hand, pick up baby by the straps, and "toss" her over your shoulder, bending over from the waist

tuck the shoulder straps under your chin, take the waist straps and pull them behind baby's bum/legs and tie them around your waist

while still bent over, position the shoulder straps as you like (under baby's bum, behind back, whatever is comfy for you) and either tie there or bring around the front and tie in front.

It sounds very scary, but if you hold baby up in the mei tai by the straps under her arms you can see that she really is supported. I find this much safer than trying to balance DD on my back and pull the mei tai up over her, b/c she's a little wiggleworm! With the toss method there is no point where she's just loose and balancing on my back!

Good luck!

kristenk
02-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Nancy - The toss method sounds great to me! I can't believe I didn't think of that, because that's what I do to get DD on my back with the ellaroo. (Well, I guess it's a tad different b/c the ellaroo's a wrap, but still the basic concept is the same.) Anyway, DD *loves* being airborn (can't find a better term) in the wrap and actually puts up with quite a bit of fussing with the carrier on my part. I'll definitely give that a try.

new_mommy25
02-28-2005, 09:59 PM
What I do is

Tie kozy around my waist.

Place DS on my hip. Slide DS around to my back and lean forward.

With one arm on DS, reach around with other arm and bring fabric up over DS's back.

Put straps over my shoulders. Hold both straps with one hand and pull tight. Bring straps under and tie under DS's bottom.

Hth,

toomanystrollers
03-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Here's my toss method for my kozy:

Tie waist straps first and pin shoulder straps b/w my legs. Bend over and swing dd into position. I then remain bent over and hold her two arms around my neck piggyback style with one hand. With my free hand, I can then manuever the shoulder straps into position.

I also use my reflection in my car windows to help in positioning the Kozy straps.

HTH

kristenk
03-01-2005, 09:37 AM
New mommy & Pam -

My problem lies in getting those durn shoulder straps up and over DD's body. I know that I spent at least 5 minutes bent over one time trying to reach around and pull those straps over. I know I'm not the most flexible person in the world, but I really didn't think that I'm the absolutely least flexible, either. It was a downright pitiful sight to see and I'm so glad DH wasn't home while I was trying to do it. DD did pretty well and seemed to put up with it for much longer than I would have thought. Does it just get easier with practice or am I hopeless?

new_mommy25
03-03-2005, 03:00 AM
I would say that it defenitely gets easier with time.

I think the main difference between me and Pam and you are that our babies are older than yours. Therefore once I get DS onto my back I can rely on him hanging on piggy back style while I grab for the back.

I can try to take some pictures tomorrow if I can get my camers figured out :)