PDA

View Full Version : Ok, did the research on plus sizes and slings, now which to get?

mams99
02-28-2005, 10:25 PM
I pretty much know that I would like to have a sling that can support on BOTH shoulders and doesn't bunch at the waist and if I get a ring sling, I want it to be open ended... but which brands?

Are the hugabubs a good choice? They are stretchy and I'm afraid they'll dig?

Which wrap style would you recommend. They all are pretty equal aren't they? Fabric is fabric?

Another couple notes: One, I wear an 18-20 pre pregnancy and have a DD cup (but with breastfeeding went to a G). I tend to get HOT in summer and I live in No. Virginia, so it does get hot. Lastly, my guess is this baby will be big like his brother was. He's measuring big already and I have 9 weeks to go!!! My son was 10 lbs 9 ounces, 22" at birth and kept growing at a PHENOMENAL pace... so it REALLY needs to be something that will give me great support and not kill my neck or shoulders.

My son LOVED the baby bjorn once he was able to face out, but I couldn't wear it more than 45 minutes before wanting to DIE of shoulder pain. Now I know there are better alternatives (this was almost 9 years ago and there wasn't the great internet resources available then!)

So... suggestions from other plus sized, large breasted and HOT women? :-)

Melissa

EDD 5/1/05 with Henry Alexander - soon to be little brother to Adrian 8.5

angmoe
03-01-2005, 12:46 AM
I completely understand your position. I am just slightly larger than you pre-pregnancy. I have a 12 year old and an 17 month old who was born at 9 lb 15 oz.. And I am due in April.
I did the research as well but was very confused about where to start. I order the cotton sachi ring sling and a moby wrap. I thought I would start there and see how it went. I also decided to be put on the list for the Kozy just to try it as well.
I have not received my carriers yet but I will let you know what works best for my older 28 lb 17 month old.
I am thinking that if they work I will try a non-stretchy wrap this summer and maybe a solarveil ring sling to keep cool and use at the pool and the beach.
I have not tried the Bjorn but I got a cheaper carrier with my 2nd child and I was way to hard to carry her for long. My DH seems to do fine with the cheap carriers and does not understand the need to buy all these carriers so I am trying to buy them slowly and see what works.
Good luck.

mams99
03-01-2005, 08:49 AM
My husband really liked the Bjorn too and so we'll keep it for him to use, but it was just too hard on me...

These carriers are expensive, but you can't really know which ones you'll LOVE unless you can try them!!!

I had the baby nojo for a ring sling when my son was born and I HATED it... I felt like the baby would drop out and he looked all scrunched and uncomfortable and he didn't really like that either. He liked being more upright leaning against my body. Wraps can do that better than ring slings, right? But then, who says this baby will want to be upright and may prefer that smooshed carry in the ring sling!

I heard the Maja wrap is fairly lightweight. People seem to love it or hate it which makes it that much more difficult to know if I should get it or not! :-)

Melissa

angmoe
03-01-2005, 06:10 PM
I have read mixed reviews on the Maya, I was not a big fan of the fabric for myself so I was looking at the Storchenweige not sure about spelling. But you are right they are very expensive. I decided to go with the moby stretch wrap just because a soft stretch wrap soubds more comfortable. If i like wearing a wrap which I am not completely sure I will yet, then I will unvest in another non-stretchy wrap.
I picked the ring sling because it looks faster to get the baby in and out of when doing quick errands or traveling by plane. I choose the Sachi because the fan style shoulder was recommended for plus size people. I contacted Lisa directly to have her make a larger one for me.
I like the idea of the pouches but I understand you really have to get the sizing right and being pregnant does not make measurements easy. And who knows what size I will be after the baby comes.
I think you are right you just never know what will work unless you try it and there really isn't any where to try them out. i figure if I don't like them I can resell them any try something different,
Angie

cimberdog
03-01-2005, 06:32 PM
I am about your size and here is what I've got:

OTSBH - sz large - too bulky and never fit right. I always felt the baby wasn't secure enough.

Baby Bjorn - killed my back

Hotsling - not loving mine. It's too tight of a fit and it rides up on my shoulder\neck.

KKAFP - love this, but don't get the fleece like I did! It's hot!

Sachi Mei Tai - love this one, although I would ask Lisa to make the straps about 6" longer if I were having one made again. I can knot the straps but not tie them into a nice bow.

ZoloWear ring sling - this is on order. I am having them make me a custom XL which is 5" longer in the tail than the large. I ordered the large, it arrived and I realized it wasn't going to be long enough for me, and I wanted some coverage for nursing.