PDA

View Full Version : Best Carrier for Public Transportation--Ergo? Sutemi? or ???

mom2jasper
03-03-2005, 02:04 PM
I have spent hours reading reviews and searching posts on this board and other boards (MDC, babywearer) and my head is spinning! Please help!

Thanks to help I received here when my DS was born 5 months ago, I now have a bit of a carrier obsession. We have a KKAFP, a hotsling, 2 mei teis (Kozy and Sachi), a Hug-A-Bub and the carrier we had before all of this madness began, the Baby Bjorn Active.

My DS weighs 17 1/2 pounds and (believe it or not!) the Baby Bjorn Active is still comfortable. I live in London and it's the most convenient for going on the subway, buses, etc. I am looking for something comfortable and easy for front carry--but will also be great for back carries a little later on.

I generally wear the Bjorn under my coat. If DS gets fussy on the train, I can unclip the front and easily have him sit or stand on my lap. It appears from photos I've seen that I would have to take my coat off to unclip the baby from the Sutemi or Ergo. Is this true? I can't bear the thought of untying a mei tei on the train and having to tie it up again, put on my coat, etc, when I get to my stop. The dangling straps, the moving train, the undressing/dressing. Would the Ergo or Sutemi be better?

Any Ideas or suggestions *Greatly Appreciated*

Momof3Labs
03-03-2005, 03:50 PM
A mei tai would actually work for you, as you describe. To take him out, you don't have to remove your coat and completely untie it. You can untie the tie under his bottom, retie it VERY loosely, and then take him out. Then, when you are ready, put him back in and retie it snugly. At least I don't see why this wouldn't work (I've only used my Kozy with a toddler)...

mom2jasper
03-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the tip, I have been practicing (at home) today. I guess it's that since he can't even sit up yet without support, it means grabbing him with one hand and untying with the other hand--tricky.He starts "jumping" as soon as he's free, so I need a quick release. Maybe the Hug-a-Bub would be better, I could stretch him out having both hands on him at once?

Does anyone know if the buckles of the Ergo/Sutemi are accessible if wearing a coat over?

Thanks again.

icunurse
03-04-2005, 10:10 PM
The Ergo doesn't have the little buckles like the Bjorn. For front facing you'd either have to take off your jacket to remove one of the shoulder straps or totally undo the tightening straps (which isn't really convenient).
Traci
~Connor's Mom~
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040204/2/2/4/-6/.png[/img][/url]

mom2jasper
03-05-2005, 04:06 AM
Thanks for that info on the Ergo, I've been trying to examine the photos and just can't figure it out. Anyone know about the Sutemi?

annex
03-05-2005, 06:09 PM
I have a Sutemi. I think you could leave it on under a coat, and just loosen the straps (there are straps on the side for loosening and tightening) to get a baby in and out pretty easily. I haven't tried that particular manuever, though, since I don't use public transport. I love it for front carry walking around stores (ever since now 28 lb DD was about 20 lb.) It is so comfy and not too tricky to get it on and put her in it. I have had less success with back carry, it's too hard for me to get her on without help.

-Anne

mom2jasper
03-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Thank you Anne, I was just looking at the sutemi pictures and it looks like you could loosen it up from under the arms like you said. I am glad to hear it's still comfy at 28 pounds! Great news, I like the front carry and so does DS!