PDA

View Full Version : Parents of Invention Ultimate Baby Wrap?

Marcy_O
03-03-2005, 04:22 PM
i have looked all over (well, skimmed all over) this site and not found anything on this wrap. Not sure that is a good sign. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and how they liked it. I was thinking of getting the Bjorn, but after reading the 101 posts, changed my mind as I have a bad back in the first place. I thought this wrap might be nice as it would support both baby and mom. Thoughts?

npace19147
03-03-2005, 06:23 PM
It doesn't get good reviews at TheBabyWearer:

http://www.thebabywearer.com/cgi-bin/reviews/reviews2.pl?folder=ultimatebabywrap&category=Wrap_Carrier

I was really happy with my Moby stretchy wrap when DD was younger, and we have since moved on to mei tai's and I just ordered a woven wrap. A wrap will distribute the weight best over both shoulders.

quinnsmom
03-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Marcy,

THis wrap was actually the first baby carrier I ever wore. At first I liked it - when DS was newborn-1 month old. But as he got bigger - it just didn't feel sturdy. I felt like I couldn't wrap it tight enough - I always felt as if the fabric could 'give' at any moment...not a good feeling! I am also not a fan of rings - and this wrap has rings.

But, then again, contrary to popular opinion, I actually liked my Bjorn - for awhile anyway. My son loved it!

BUT-the Bjorn was my SECOND carrier ever. I think if I would have gotten a mei tai and a pouch - I would have been just as happy - probably happier - because DS would have been able to "face out" earlier.

The mei tai is great for comfort purposes - and to me it always feels secure - and the pouch is great because baby can look out/face out in certain positions - which is what my son loved about the Bjorn.

With the pouch - baby can look out at a younger age. You have to wait until baby has good head control for the facing out position with the Bjorn.

So..after much babbling - I would not recommend the Ultimate Baby Wrap. I would go with Nancy's advice and get a Moby if you are interested in a wrap.

:)

Marcy_O
03-06-2005, 07:18 AM
All good to know. Ok, one more question. I have been looking at the Moby wrap, looks good, I'll probably purchase one. Do Dads like them too? My husband wants to get one of those bulky backpacks, but we really have no need to get something this "serious" and cumbersome. He just thinks they're "cool".

And my second question, are they good for plus size parents? I am right on the border between 20 & 22 (well, I WAS anyway pregos now) and I read on The Baby Wearer that wraps are great for plus size parents. There was no size available, so I assume this is sizeless and can work for me?

npace19147
03-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Wraps are great for plus sized people, esp. the Moby which doesn't come in sizes. It only comes in one length, which I think is about 6ft. So it's pretty much one size fits all (to some extent or another - I'm fairly small and it's a lot of fabric, but it works).

As far as dads liking them too - it depends on the dad. :) My husband used it once or twice but never really liked dealing with all the material, and if your husband likes the looks of the bulky backpacks then I'm guessing he won't want to deal with a wrap either. I would definitely advise holding off on one of the "cool" backpacks, b/c you can't use them with a newborn anyway. The baby really needs to have head control for them, so a minimum of four-six months. By then hopefully you can convince him in another direction!

A lot of dads like the Ergo or Sutemi carriers, which are more "Bjorn" looking with straps and buckles. We have an Ergo and that's what DH uses b/c it's fairly simple and mainstream looking. I know it comes with an infant headrest and insert, but I didn't get it until DD had head control so I can't comment on how it works for a small baby.

HTH!