PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping in Carrier question

nan
03-07-2005, 04:19 PM
I have a KKAFP (thank you BBB opinions!) which both my new daughter (3 weeks) and I like so far. Not every minute of so far, but overall!
So here's my question ... odd, I know ... when I put her in the pouch, she's usually asleep within 5-10 minutes. I know, I know, she's new in the world and sleeps a lot anyway, but since she's not sleeping much at night, I have to wonder, is all the sleeping she's doing in the carrier during the day contributing to the "mixing up days and nights"?

Thanks

Nancy

Dcclerk
03-08-2005, 01:30 PM
I can't tell you for sure that it isn't contributing, but I don't think so. For the first 4 months of my DS's life, the only way he would sleep would be in the pouch. I learned to do anything with that thing! It took a little while to get him on track with his sleeping at nights, but I had read that day/night confusion is really common, regardless of whether you wear your baby or not. (Something about your movement lulling the babe to sleep during the day, and the stillness keeping them more alert in the night, in utero, so they keep it up.) Who knows if that is right or not. But I will admit that I was very happy to get him to sleep as often as I could. He was extremely colicky and any rest that he got, was better for all of us :)

One thing you might want to consider is to put something in to prop her head up so that it isn't as dark and cozy in the pouch during the day.

Good luck in working out the sleep issues and congratulations!

newmama4
03-08-2005, 02:50 PM
You might want to try swaddling her at night - that feeling of tightness and enclosure might be what she is missing when she is not in the pouch. I know my DD always sleeps better when swaddled - unless she is in my Mei Tai or sling (which she is in now and sound asleep in the tummy to tummy position).

Just a suggestion, good luck!

Elise

Hannah Meira's Eema (11/16/04)

newmama4
03-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Sorry - double post