PDA

View Full Version : do you think I can do light housework w/ baby on back?

knaidel
03-10-2005, 06:53 PM
I am considering getting a carrier that can be worn on the back. Nathaniel is at his fussiest in the evening, so I'm thinking it might help to wear him as I'm washing dishes, preparing sandwiches, olding laundry. Is this realistic? Are any of you able to do these tasks with a back carrier?
I am considering an Asian Carrier, but I have this crazy (probably unfounded) fear- that the knot will come undone and the kid will fall out. Please reassure me that its not the case! This is one reason I'm kind of leaning towards a Sutemi or Ergo- the sound of that click is so reassuring- crazy, I know! When I lived in Israel, I saw Ethiopian women wrapping their babies up in all sorts of interesing ways with fabric and knots and carring around like that=without any problems.
I like the feel of having 2 shoulder straps, although I'm sure its all psychological! Are there any other suggestions that might work well for this?

TereasaT
03-11-2005, 03:04 AM
I have worn my 5 1/2 month old on my back pretty much every day since he was 2 months old. I was too nervous to start earlier because of head control and didn't quite like covering his head back there. I wear him on my back when I am doing laundry, cooking, going to the park with my 3 year old. He will even fall asleep back there. I'm not sure how I did all this with my first son in front of me in a Baby Bjorn.

I think the easiest carrier to do a back carry on a 3 month old is a MT. There are lots of great MTs to choose from. I have a Sachi, a Kolamo and several Kozys. Right now, I am really loving the Kolamo because of its headrest. It is great for when my DS falls asleep. I just have to flip it up when he's asleep and flip it down when he's awake. No more rolling or unrolling the larger body MTs. I have never had a knot loosen at all, but I do tie all my knots in front and not under my son's bottom.

I also use wraps to put my DS on my back. I find the strap carry and the rucksack carry the fastest and easiest. The back wrap cross carry is the most secure. You can read more about these positions at http://www.mamatoto.org

I also have an Ergo which I do like. I wouldn't quite recommend an Ergo for a 3 month old. Their legs are spread pretty wide in it. I think maybe at 5 months it would work better.

If you really like the click of the buckles, you can always add them to your MTs. Karen of Kolamo carries them.

There is a learning curve to getting your baby on your back and it does take some practice, but it really is worth it!

Tereasa

lizamann
03-11-2005, 06:18 PM
I highly rec. the Asian style (MT.) I have an Ergo, too, and love it.

The click that gives you that reassurance is the same click that can pinch you. The Sutemi has bitten me a couple of times, and it wasn't pretty! Ouch!

And your knot is not going to come out. When you get the carrier, you can bounce around over your bed to reassure yourself of this unlikely event.

I have done plenty of laundry with dd on my back. Folding could be tough unless you had a table that was a good height (like in my building's laundry room) so you don't have to stoop. Washing dishes and preparing food should work great!

mamaAnn
03-17-2005, 01:58 AM
Another vote of confidence for you-mei tais are great for housework! I was so thrilled the first time I wore my 2 mos old on my back to make supper and clean up. I felt so liberated! :)
I thought it was pretty easy to learn though I'll probably change my mind when he's old enough to be squirmy back there.
You can tighten the straps easily and securely and I've never had a worry about them coming loose.
And if you're worried about their head wobbling back there then try a Kolamo mei tai since they have the higher headrest-it's my favorite now!
Good luck.
Ann

Nicodemus
03-18-2005, 08:43 AM
I used the baby bjorn (sport) a lot when my son was very young. Now, I use the Ergo and he's 8 months. It's tehe only way I get any work done in the house.

Best,
Diane