PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Mei Tai/ABC carrier?

young
03-10-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm sure this question comes up regularly, but I couldn't find anything in my searches. I want to buy a Mei Tai carrier for my 4 mth old. There are so many brands, all rated highly, on Babywearer.com. I know whatever I choose will work out, but for those of you who have tried several different brands, I would like to know which brand do you like best?

tarahsolazy
03-10-2005, 08:23 PM
I have personally owned both a Kozy and a Freehand MT. Both are great carriers. I found no real difference in comfort for me or DS between the two, for both front and back carries. The Kozy has a longer body, and would probably need to be rolled down with a smaller babe. The straps of the Kozy are canvas, the FH are twill. Both are plenty long, nicely padded just the right amount, and tie easily. I would not hesitate to buy another of either kind of carrier. I sold the Freehand, just because I couldn't justify owning two! But, now Michelle and Quinn are enjoying it.

lenad
03-10-2005, 09:27 PM
So I am not going to be terribly helpful since I only have a Kozy (http://www.kozycarrier.com), but I have to make a pitch for it. Main reason: my 5-mo old DD loves it (and she has loved it since she was 3-mo old)! She likes being in it in any position, awake or sleepy or asleep. It works so well that even my DH (originally a total disbeliever in babywearing) uses it when he wants to get stuff done or when she is sleepy. Kozy has a bit bigger body than some other Mei Tais, but I like that: if she is awake I can roll it up and she can see out just fine, but if she is asleep I use the full length so her head is nicely supported. (Kolamo Mei Tai, http://www.kolamobaby.com, has a head rest that you can flip up or down for the same purpose; probably even easier since there is no rolling of the body.) I like the fact that Kozy straps are just lightly padded b/c the whole thing feels very light and pliable.

TereasaT
03-11-2005, 02:44 AM
I have a Sachi, a Kolamo and several Kozys and use them all for my 5 1/2 month old. They are all great carriers with wonderful customer service. I like them for different reasons. The Sachi has the smallest body which is perfect for my 5 1/2 month old. I don't feel like his legs are doing the splits. The height is also perfect so I don't have to roll or unroll the Sachi for my son to see out of the carrier, but my son doesn't care if his arms are in and out.

The Kozy has the largest body size so my son is pretty snuggled in that carrier. Sometimes, I feel like his legs are a little too spread in this one. When he was younger, I did keep his legs in, but now, he is in that in between stage. I do have to roll it so that I feel he can get a better view and unroll it if he falls asleep. I agree with the PP that I like the light padding of the Kozy straps.

I recently received the Kolamo, and I am really loving that headrest. I just flip it down when DS is awake and flip it up when DS is asleep. It's not a rigid headrest, but it provides great head support.

The sewing on all three carriers is impeccable.

Tereasa

young
03-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks so much for the insightful information, if only there were stores that could stock all these different carriers for moms to try....

Tereasa, how does the body of the Kolamo compare to the Sachi and Kozy?

quinnsmom
03-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Yes Tarah :) We LOOOVE our FH mei tai!!!

I would recommend searching the babywearer and the yahoo group for used ABC's to try out some used carriers. That way - you can trade/sell according to your like/dislikes of a particular carrier - and feel guilt-free because you didn't pay full price.

It's really personal preference - there are so many out there. I would recommend trying to see what fits you and your baby best.

:)

TereasaT
03-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Here are the approximate measurements of my mei tais. They are all the most recent designs so they should be accurate. You can always e-mail each of these moms for the measurements to make sure.

Kolamo 16"x17"(without headrest)
Kozy 17.5"x22.5"
Sachi 15"x20"

Tereasa

heatherlynn
03-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Teresa,

I've been looking at these three. Do you think that particular sizes work better with bigger/smaller/older/younger children? Does that even make sense?!

I'm leaning toward the Kolamo now, thanks to your post above about the headrest. Seems to make the most sense to me. I'm new to carrying (well, other than my Bjorn) and the Kolamo seems like it's easier to adjust when the baby falls asleep.

Thanks for your posts! I've been finding them very informative.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

TereasaT
03-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Your baby is 7 months old so I think any of the three carriers will work. My son is 5 1/2 months old, and all three of the carriers work fine for him. For younger infants (less than 2-3 months), their legs have to be kept froggy style inside the wider bodied MTs because their legs can't manage the width. If you have a baby who is very particular and wants their arms out when awake, then you will have to roll a taller bodied MT. Then when they fall asleep, you will have to unroll it if they need head support. Some children naturally lean forward when they sleep so they don't necessarily need the support. As the kids get older, some don't nap as much as when they were younger so it isn't an issue.

I have a baby who leans back when he's asleep, especially when he's on my back so I definitely need the head support. I don't find it that difficult to roll and unroll the larger bodied MTs, but sometimes my son gets a little irritated at me when I'm trying to adjust while he's sleeping. I just got the Kolamo last week and am loving the headrest. It really does make it easier. I only wish it had my lightly padded Kozy straps as I find those to be the most comfortable for me.

Tereasa

lenad
03-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Tereasa,

Could you say a bit more about the Kolamo straps (compared to Kozy)? I have a Mei Hip and its waist straps are quite padded. My DD (also 5.5-mo old) regularly falls asleep in the Kozy, but it would be nice to have an MT that is easier to adjust btwn waking/sleep. Plus I love Kolamo striped fabrics.

Thanks,

LD

TereasaT
03-12-2005, 02:16 AM
The Kolamo and Kozy straps are both 3.75" wide and padded. I think comfort is very individual. The Kozy straps feel more comfortable to me because there are no seams on the part of the straps that touch your shoulders. On the Kolamo, there is stitching that runs the length of the straps along both edges. I have bony shoulders and I can feel the borders that these create. The Kolamo also has some padding on the waist straps which is nice.

I love stripes on a MT. I have a Kozy in the Cafe print and a Kolamo in the Spring Fever.

Tereasa

lenad
03-12-2005, 02:21 AM
Sorry, just one more question. Does the head rest really stay up? I wonder how easy it is (if at all possible) for a sleeping baby's head to push it down.

I love the Spring Fever pattern in Kolamo, but it's sold out. I have Hamburg for Mei Hip (beautiful!) but was kind of looking for something in blues even though I have a girl. (I have 'wall flower' in Kozy.)

LD

TereasaT
03-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi,

The headrest does stay up and doesn't fold down by itself when it's up. I only have a 5 1/2 month old so I'm not sure about a child with a bigger, heavier head. I don't think so. When my 5 1/2 month old is awake and leaning back hard he can't fold it down. He just kind of leans back against it. It's a really great design.

Maybe you can choose your own blue fabric and send it in to Karen.

Tereasa

lenad
03-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks so much! I almost decided to get one last night, as my DD was awake then sleepy, then awake, then asleep, and I thought how nice it would be to simply flip up/down the headrest.

LD

tribegirl3
03-12-2005, 01:56 PM
LD,
How do you like your Mei Hip? They look so cool and comfortable! I recently traded for a Mei Hip and can't wait to try it out! I would love to hear how others like theirs.

Angie

tribegirl3
03-12-2005, 02:00 PM
I have a Freehand and a Kozy and love them both. You can't make me choose between the two! They are both amazing quality and comfortable to wear. The Kozy body is larger than the Freehand and the straps of the Kozy are slightly smaller but comfort wise, they are both wonderful! I have really been looking into the Kolamo MTs too, the headrest is ingenious!

lenad
03-13-2005, 12:30 AM
I like it a lot. I still don't use it much since it's cold out and its primary function will be to use it when I take DD out to show her things. It is really very comfy, that fanned shoulder is wonderful. I also love the fact that my DD can both see out and see me (and I her) without having to lean back (as in a front face in carry). I have rings, b/c I didn't want black buckles on khaki fabric, but buckles are probably easier to get the kid in/out (don't know what you got, but rings aren't bad either). I also think that MH looks very modern (I have stripes), the feel is much more of a city carrier than of an "ethnic" one.

LD

heatherlynn
03-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks for your help again! DS will like his arms out I'm sure - never could swaddle him because he was always wiggling his arms out. I'm glad you mentioned the leaning back when asleep issue. DS does that, too! In fact, I had him in the Ergo yesterday and he kept leaning back when he fell asleep.

I'm on the list for both a Kozy and a Kolamo, and while I like more of the Kozy fabrics better, I think I'm going to go for the Kolamo.

Thanks again.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

npace19147
03-13-2005, 12:42 PM
If you email Karen at Kolamo she may be able to use a fabric that you choose and send to her - I know some people have done that in the past, although she's swamped right now so may not be able to offer it.

mamaAnn
03-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Here's what I have and like about each:
Kolamo-favorite right now because of tall headrest, 4 inch straps are very comfy and the body is a little narrower than others and i like that for my 4 mos old. Also has some hip padding.
Freehand-love the construction and style, great celtic prints, don't use as much now since it doesn't have a headrest but will be using more soon as babe grows
Sachi-smaller body style and more padding in shoulders-very comfy but this is my brocade mei tai so use this less
Kozy-super well constructed and heavy duty but the body was too big for me. Straps were not as soft as my others.
Happy Cruiser on the way-got this for unique small body style and wide shoulders
Ann