PDA

View Full Version : slings and other queries from soon-to-be mom of two

Fiasco
03-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi everyone-

I have a group of mom friends who I poll with questions like these, but when it comes down to making a final decision, I find the expert advice from the people here to be invaluable.

Here's my situation: DS#1 is 2 1/2, and DS#2 is due in early May. I live in the Northeast, and will spend a good deal of time at the beach this summer, with my ILs, while on maternity leave.

First off, what is the best sling for hands-free (or close to it) nursing? Additional discretion would also be nice, since my ILs are "old school" and think nursing is evil. Keep in mind that it will be warm (i LOVE the KKAFP but fear it will be too hot). I am a small chested person, with a small frame. I prefer the look of pouches but it seems that ring slings are better for nursing. Is it impossible to nurse a newborn in a pouch?

Second. Our bedroom is small and with our new furniture arrangement, I dont think we'll have room for our pack n' play with the bassinet attachment. With DS#1, I was too paranoid to have him out of my sight, and we ended up cosleeping with him for 2 years. With #2, I'd like to get more sound sleep (since I'll be chasing his energetic brother during the day) so I'd like to have baby near, but not in, the bed. Do any of you have any good SMALL babybed options? I could probably squeeze an arms reach mini in our room, but not near the bed... I've also been looking at moses baskets since it seems that they can go pretty much anywhere. Any other ideas? The crib is only 10 feet away, in the nursery, but I know I'll want him in the room, in my sight, for at least the first couple of months.

Last... what is the least expensive, but durable, single stroller with a buggy board? Good for an infant, but also for a toddler? ( I know this isn't the stroller forum, but I don't want to be posting all over the place...)

thanks!
~fiasco

kristenk
03-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Definitely post in the stroller forum. A lot of people frequent the stroller board who don't check in here. I'm sure you'll get help there!

I don't have a hands-free nursing idea for you, unfortunately. I was never able to do it. Well, almost never, but it was in the privacy of my own home and there's absolutely no way I'd do what I did out in public! :)

My mom purchased a Graco bassinet for us and it was great. I checked the Graco site and it looks like it's discontinued. It had wheels, or you could push them up and the legs would turn into rockers. (We never used this feature, but I thought it might help identify it.) Okay, nevermind, I found one on ebay. It's the Graco Triad and here it is: http://tinyurl.com/3l528

I will wholeheartedly admit that the Graco Triad is one of the least attractive bassinets I've ever seen, but it was soooooo incredibly useful that I still have fond memories of it! :) It could be a stand-alone bassinet or you could drop one of the sides and basically strap it to your bed. Sooooo useful. We used it as a stand-alone at first and then I realized how much easier it was to use with it attached to the bed. Eventually, we used it in DD's room when we first moved her in there.

Good luck with the product search!

SlingMama11
03-23-2005, 08:13 PM
Why don't you try a solarvail ringsling or pouch. Hotslings just stocked solorvail pouches -- I am sure they perfect for the beach or you can try a solarvail ringsling.