PDA

View Full Version : Advice for backpack alternative for 16 month old

chlobo
03-20-2005, 10:10 AM
DD is 16 months and about 22lbs. I have been using a frame backpack to carry her around but lately it is just way to uncomfortable. My back starts to hurt and it just doesn't seem right.

Is she just too heavy now for the back carry? Are there other carriers that will still be comfortable at this weight? I tried the Kozy but really didn't like it.

tribegirl3
03-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi Carren,
Did you try various positions for the back carry in the Kozy with your baby? Some people like the rucksack carry (backpack) and other like to cross the straps in the front. I haven't tried crossing the straps in the front (too self conscious!) but one might work better for you. Have you tried any other MTs or ABCs? You might want to check thebabywearer.com for more advice on comfortable back carries.

Angie

mamaAnn
03-20-2005, 05:26 PM
I agree that it is important to get the ABC/mei tais nice and high and snug for it to feel comfy-but when it's right I can go for hrs with no pain! If they are hanging too low that's what causes back or shoulder pain. The Kozy is a big bodied carrier and I also didn't care for it but some with smaller bodies like www.sachicarriers.com or www.freehandbaby.com might suit you better.
Ann

luckymom
03-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Hi-

I found an alternative that I loved at REI, its a backpack with a lighweight internal frame (as opposed to the big external frame traditional backpacks), so it looks just like a daypack, but has a zipper that hyou open to reveal a cockpit for the baby. It's called the Deuter KangaKid

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47840362&parent_category_rn=4501338&vcat=REI_SEARCH

It does have internal structure, unlike the "slingtype" carriers, which to me really helped distribute the weight, but was smaller and lighter than the big backpacks. It was much more comfortable for me, I think it fit a lot better than the big packs, I'm fairly small and short. My little one is a bit smaller though, around 17 lbs.