PDA

View Full Version : New mom and first flight

njsnyc
03-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Hi-
I would appreciate any advice on how to best fly with my 4-5 month old (He is now 3 mos). We have to fly crosscountry due to family illness and I do not know the best way to fly. Should I book an extra seat and bring his carseat? However he has never been in his carseat b/c we live in NYC and have not driven since his birth and he has severe reflux so the carseat position is not the best!). I am willing to purchase any product that will make flying go as smoothly as possible...so any advice and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks! Nicole
njs

caldreamer
03-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Hi Nicole. We live on the other side of the country from most of my and DH's family, so we've had the "pleasure" of flying cross-country 3 times with our 10 month old. Here's what we found:

1) Car seat is convenient but not necessary on the plane (although since you're flying away from NYC, you'll presumeably need one at your destination- can be rented if you're doing a rental car). Some airlines, like Southwest, will let you bring it onboard even if you didn't buy a seat, as long as there is extra space on the plane. We did this on our first trip, not on subsequent ones, mostly because DS had graduated to the huge sized carseat which we didn't want to lug through the airport. If DS isn't used to the carseat, and he naps okay in your arms, it might be more trouble than it's worth.

2) Bring a sling or other easy in/ out carrier, and make sure DS likes it ahead of time. I used a sling for the first trip and a wraparound for the others (which is only easy if you're used to it), cause he just wasn't a sling baby. Even with a stroller (see #3), DS will inevitably want to be carried at the very moment you need your hands. Also, this is SO useful for walking up and down the aisles of the plane to get overstimulated babe to sleep. Many parents' babes sleep blissfully on planes, but our little social animal was wide awake unless lulled to sleep in a (constantly moving) carrier. I've heard some mamas are even allowed through security with babe in sling, but I've not had this luck.

3) If you have a stroller that's easy to fold, bring that too. OUR DS was on a stroller strike during one of the trips, but he willingly went through the airport in it because there was so much to see. Even if DS rebels, you can put your other stuff in it while carrying him. You can take the stroller (and carseats, I think) right up to the door of the plane, where they will gate check them for you, and have them waiting at the door when you get out.

4) If you're traveling alone, which I did for 3 of our 6 legs, don't underestimate the kindness of strangers and airline personnel. I've had people- unasked- fold up strollers, carry a bag, even hold baby while I put back on shoes post-security (okay, that was a security guard, not a random passerby, LOL)

Okay, I'm realizing all this info. makes it sound pretty scary and gear-laden. Despite utter dread filling me prior to each trip, they've all ended up being fine, and some have been downright enjoyable. Good luck!

pittsburghgirl
03-22-2005, 06:12 PM
I come down on the side of purchasing an extra seat for the baby always, and taking the car seat on. It's just safer. You will not be allowed to have the baby in a sling or other carrier during takeoff and landing (I'm sure some people have gotten away with this but the flight attendants are not supposed to allow it.) Especially with a longer flight, if the baby does fall asleep, you can get a break if he's in the car seat. I could never get comfortable holding my DS on a plane the one time we didn't buy him a seat.

You can usually get a discounted seat if you specify you are putting a car seat in it; we have usually paid about 40% off DS's seat.

I do agree with PP that you could make good use of a sling or other carrier, if you and your DS are used to it. We never managed to fly with our infant seat (DS was out of it at 4 months) so I used the carrier as a way to get him, diaper backpack, and convertible car seat all on the plane by myself. These days I use a mei tai carrier and I have a lightweight convertible seat (Cosco Touriva) to use for travel, the Britax seat we use normally was too heavy for me to carry.

I also always bring my stroller and gate check it. I found the easiest way for me to get through checkin and security is to have DS in the stroller. Everything goes on the xray machine belt, then I take him out, fold the stroller and put it through, and walk through. I wait until everything has come through and I have the stroller back before I mess with collecting my stuff, once he's seated again I can reorganize myself. When I first flew, I had him in the Bjorn and it was a huge pain to get him out of it so I could send it through the xray.

I use a diaper backpack for travel, it's not the most organized but I really need my hands free.

Finally, make sure you have extra of everything you could possibly need -- bottles (if you're not BF), formula, water, diapers, wipes, clothes, etc. in your bag. You never know what you will need and if you get delayed, you don't want to be stuck without something.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

tiikeri2
03-23-2005, 12:15 PM
We flew half-way across the country twice with our first, the first time she was 2 months, the second time she was just over a year (both times were post-9/11). Both times our sling was a lifesaver! The PP was correct--you cannot wear baby in your seat on the plane (during take off and landing, you can any time the seatbelt sign is off), but it was so easy to pop her in and out when we were entering/exiting the plane. There was no stroller to gatecheck (we had a stroller with us the second time--we only used it for rolling the diaper bag through the airport terminal!). For me the security of having baby right with me at all times was a big help. With all the craziness of luggage, connections, etc. it was nice to not worry at all about baby. She was peacefully watching the world go by from the comfort of her sling!

I personally would not buy a seat for an infant of that age, but that is just me. Our DD was most content when being held, especially when dealing with air pressure changes, strange noises, etc. It is not good for babies to be in their carseats for extended periods of time anyway, so odds are you would be taking your son out for much of the flight. Especially with his reflux.

If you want to wear baby (they let me go through security without removing my sling, but I cannot say if that would be true at all airports), I would get the sling now and get baby used to it. You might look at a Hotsling--it is very compact and easy to use, and it will be fitted to you. Also check out the Kozy and the Kolamo (Kolamo has extra head support for young infants). These would offer you more versatility--DH and others could also wear baby.

Otherwise, what stroller options do you have? Are you planning on taking a stroller anyway? You can check the stroller at the plane door, which is nice. The problem is strollers very often are damaged by the airline, so do not take anything you would be upset about replacing (which is difficult with a baby your son's age because you have to have the full recline and cannot just bring a cheapy umbrella stroller).

Are you breastfeeding or bottlefeeding? Breastfeeding was a blessing for us. When we took off or landed, I just nursed DD and she had no ear problems whatsoever. I imagine sucking on a bottle would have a similar effect, not certain about a pacifier since there is no swallowing.

I am sorry the flight is not a pleasure trip. HUGS to you and your family. Best of luck on the flight!

Kay

SlingMama11
03-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi
I just came home from my first airplane flight with my son.
I did nto bring a carseat.
My Hotsling was very valuable during the flight. I usually always wear around my shoulder and when he is ready to be popped in its very easy. He slept the whole flight in my sling.
I did not bring a stroller either I brought another babycarrier for a two shoulder carry when needed

mamaAnn
03-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Another sling vote here! I just flew cross country with 3 kids and my 3 mos old was a breeze the whole time with my Hotslings pouch. It was easy to get him in/out and it was very comfortable. He slept most of the time. I was able to have him in it for one take off and all landings. I know it's just up to the flight attendants to call you on it or not.
Not sure about the PP's comment about a 40% discount on tickets for a seat with a carseat-not on Northwest at least because we asked about one for our 3 yr old. They said a seat costs the same no matter who's in it and that makes sense to me I guess.
The nice thing about not having to gate check a stroller was not having to wait for it and not having to dodge people in the crowds or balance it on the escalators.
I did check my carseat and it arrived fine (be sure to put in the plastic bags they provide so the seat cover doesn't fall off-that happened to someone)
Good luck
Ann

njsnyc
03-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Thank you all for your help...I am ordering a Hotsling today!
njs

bensmom
03-24-2005, 05:36 PM
In my experience, most airlines give discounted fares for children under 2. Kids 2 and up generally are the same price as adults. The reason is that children under 2 are not required to be in a seat, but rather, can be on someone's lap (although the FAA highly recommends that you put them in a carseat - http://www.faa.gov/passengers/childtips.cfm). The FAA and airlines want to encourage people to buy seats for children under 2 (instead of holding them on laps) and therefore, charge a lower fare. The airlines have no incentive to do this for kids over 2, because you must buy a seat for them.

Also - for the discount infant fare, in some situations, you have to call the airline directly and ask for an infant seat rather than book it on the airline's website.