PDA

View Full Version : So confused...what kind of carrier should I get??

SpaceGal
03-22-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi all...

I've been lurking and researching as much as possible but I'm still at a loss. I really don't know what carrier to get. Recently, my hubby purchased and front carrier by Eddie Bauer for me...but my son looks kind of awkward and uncomfy in it...head and eyes constantly looking upward looks like he's gonna get neck cramps or something. Then after some more researching it seems as if those types of carriers are bad for the baby's developing spine...grrr...now what. Basically, I would like something for doing chores around the house so I can still hold him while tidying up and maybe errands at the store. I've got a small frame and my son's a month old and a lightweight, he was 6lbs 5oz at his last weigh in two weeks ago. Any ideas on what I should get...I know many are against bjorns and the like but I grabbed one for the sake of having something to help me stay sane...but now when I see him in it, he doesn't look too comfy. I figure I can always return it anyways till I make a better choice. I know he likes to sleep in cradle position as well as when I burp him on my shoulder...he'll fall asleep there to. Any advice/input would be so very appreciated. Thank you ladies!!!!

betsydenny
03-22-2005, 03:18 PM
YOu can't go wrong with a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch or a Hotsling- depending on where you live and whether spring will come sooner or later. I have both and love them. they are easy to use and throw in your bag to bring along. the KKAFP is good because as your little guy gets bigger you can make it a bit bigger- or if you are wearing heavier layers. We started with the KKAFP. It has great stretch and my DS used to just curl up and snooze for hours- great while I chased DD and got stuff done. I have used hte hotsling more as a hip carrier since DS is now sititng up more and likes to be looking around.

check them out at www.hotslings.com or www.kangarookorner.com

Good luck!

sashaa
03-22-2005, 05:56 PM
I know exactly how you feel... When I first lurked into the forum, I was so overwhelmed by all these different types of carrier. At that time, I only have one carrier in mind, Baby Bjorn carrier which is very common around here. And then as I started to read more, there are pouches, slings, ABC and etc... After months of research, I ended up getting a Mom and Me, A Pea in a Pod adjustable pouch and I love it. I am due in two more weeks and I can't wait to test it with my babe.

npace19147
03-22-2005, 07:00 PM
I would agree with the hotsling recommendation, I also like a stretchy wrap for a small newborn - try www.mobywrap.com.

lenad
03-23-2005, 01:10 AM
I second the stretchy wrap recommendation. I also had a Moby which I liked very much,

LD

SpaceGal
03-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Can my baby be carried in a hotsling or moby wrap in the tummy to tummy position?? From what I saw on the Kangaroo Korner site those allow for tummy to tummy but I am not sure of the other two.

npace19147
03-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Yes to both, I found the T2T particularly snuggly with the Moby.

Here are instructions for doing the T2T with a wrap:

http://mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=100
http://mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=132

The T2T will work the same with a hotsling as with the Kangaroo Korner, they're both pouches. HTH!

dknees
03-23-2005, 05:44 PM
If you go on the hotsling website (www.hotslings.com) you will see in their photo section pictures of different carries, one of which is T2T.....

SlingMama11
03-23-2005, 07:58 PM
My two most used carriers are my Sachicarrier and my hotslings pouches.

tribegirl3
03-30-2005, 10:42 AM
I love pouches and MTs/ABCs. I tried ring slings but am so ring sling impaired it's not even funny. Good luck but be careful....baby carriers are addictive!

Angie