PDA

View Full Version : Back carrier for 6 mos. old? Something else?

Karenn
03-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Help! My 6 month old is going through a phase and wants to be held all the time. My DS went through the same thing, and it lasted until he started crawling. So I'm optimistic this will pass, but I'd love to find a way to hold her and get some things done around the house!

I have a Hotsling and a Baby Bjorn but I'd like something that leaves both arms free and won't leave my back aching. Also, it's hard to do too much in the kitchen with her in the Bjorn. I'm thinking that if she were on my back, I might feel a little better about chopping vegetables, etc. Is there any carrier out there that might work for me? Is she even old enough for a back carrier?

TIA,

TereasaT
03-27-2005, 02:04 AM
Hi Karen,

I have a 6 month old, too, and have worn him on my back pretty much every day since he was 2 months old to cook, clean, and do things with my 3 year old. I use several carriers for back carries so you can take a look and see what might work best for you and your baby.

I use woven wraps (Ellaroo, Didymos, Storchenwiege) to do back carries. You can check on http://www.mamatoto.org for some instructions on back carries. I usually use the strap carry and the rucksack carry because I like him to be up high on my back so I can talk to him and he can see what I'm doing over my shoulders. It does have a higher learning curve, but it really isn't too difficult. With a wrap, you can also do a variety of carries.

I also use mei tais (Kozy, Kolamo, Sachi) to do back carries as well as front carries.

I also have an Ergo that I use for back carries as well as front carries.

Hope this helps!

Tereasa

Karenn
03-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks Tereasa. I ordered a Mei Tai. I'd been looking at them for a while, but wasn't sure it would work. I can't wait to get it!

lenad
03-27-2005, 05:40 PM
I also have an (almost) 6-mo old, and I use Mei Tais and wraps. I love wraps for going out: I can pop my DD in and out really easily (I keep the wrap on). Mei Tais I use more at home and when I know she will fall asleep, since they have good head support (I have a Kozy and a Kolamo). Of course, when the weather gets better I guess I will use both for going out.

LD

p.s. Watch out, they are addicitive! LOL