PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Style - KangaKid w/o Frame - How do you get your child out?

suzhatch1
03-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi there -

With DD # 1 we had a Kelty backpack for hiking that had the sturdy frame and kickstand so that you would sort of lean back and set it on the ground. Then it would be freestanding and you could pick your child up.

I'm intrigued by the new Deuter KangaKid backpack carrier. It's a soft pack with a carrier built in. My question is: how do you get your child off your back safely?

With a Mei Tai, it seems like you have so little fabric between you and your child that you just reach behind your back to hold and gently swing your child infront of you (or onto whatever surface you are moving them to). With the KangaKid, you have that functional backpack (that most likely would be filled with diapers & baby goodies) that it seems like it would be difficult to manuever your child onto the ground safely or to hold that weight securely with 1 hand and swing them around to the front without tipping the backpack sideways. (Below is a link to REI's page showing the backpack carrier).

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47840362&parent_category_rn=4500629&vcat=REI_SEARCH

I may be wrong, maybe it is easier than I'm thinking. This looks less intrusive that the big framed backpack carriers, but I just can't get past this one thing. Thanks!

npace19147
03-30-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm not familiar with this, but you could try asking/searching on www.thebabywearer.com - I think there has been some discussion of this product recently. I think it's relatively new.