PDA

View Full Version : Carriers for exercising?

wookiemouse
04-04-2005, 04:10 PM
I am looking to get back into walking as soon as possible after my son is born (outdoors, paved walking track with tree cover, 15-min mile pace). I have a Maya wrap for home and going out to stores, but am thinking I need something more substantial until it is safe to put him in a jogging stroller. The carrier needs to be supportive and not get too hot. I checked out the babywearer website, but it didn't answer my question. Thoughts?

quikeye
04-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Hi, I wore my son in a pouch from 3 days on... dh & i loved going for walks (still do), and babe would pretty much sleep all the time in the pouch as we walked. Easy to do as he's reclined, covered up and snug against your chest. I also liked it as when they're so young their weight isn't as much of a burden when it's all being distributed across one shoulder (as opposed to when babe's older and you can wear them on your hip, or use a 2 shouldered carrier)... I could go for 2+ hour walks with little bundle in a pouch. It also wasn't unbearbly warm-- I'd wear one fewer layer of clothing when I was wearing ds for long walks, and felt good that he was so snug :) (Hemp fleece pouch from momandmepouch.com).

I also think me wearing him so much/often when he was younger really helped me become used to the weight and actually stronger for babycarrying as well (still going at 14 months).

I'm not sure what a 15 min/mile pace is :) Ours was just walking (sidewalks-- up and down hilly neighborhood though.)

I'd not recommend a vertical baby carrier (abc, structured carrier) til babe has some head control-- this is just my opinion but I didn't feel comfy using a 2 shouldered carrier til he was 4 months and not wobbly. Some moms like em though!

Good luck! Let us know if you're looking at a specific type of carrier... chances are some of us have used it and could point you to if it was good for your intended use :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif
12 months, w00t!
http://gynosaur.com/bf_ribbons.php