PDA

View Full Version : Stretch Cotton Pouch Fabric vs 100% Cotton Pouch Fabric? Opinions Please

suzhatch1
04-04-2005, 06:15 PM
I've finally decided on both a pouch & a Kolamo Mei Tei. For the pouch I definately would like to have:

1) Reversible pattern (2 pouches in 1) :)
2) The thin padded rail (for babies legs)
3) And the slight stretchiness of a cotton blend sounds really nice.

So I was planning on ordering from Hotslings, but I couldn't find a fabric pattern that particularly jumped out at me. I know I could probably pick my own & send in the fabric, but I'm a pouch newbie and definately am *NOT* sewing inclined. I wouldn't even know where to start at a fabric store.

So, I was checking some reviews on BabyWearer & found a couple places that have some great feedback & reasonable prices for reversible pattern pouches & with the padded rail. Thing is, I think their fabric is 100% cotton (no give) instead of the slight stretchiness you get with the blend. Now, I know the stretch cotton isn't a lot of stretch (not like a swimsuit or anything), but just a little stretch (like stretch jeans). Which I still think sounds nice.

For an extra $10-$15 & to live with a pattern you might not like as much, would you vote for the stretchy cotton or would the regular cotton be fine? I fear the non-stretch may pull a bit more tightly around the shoulder and be uncomfortable.

Thanks!

mamaAnn
04-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Yes, the stretch cotton is nice but the 100% cotton is great too. I don't find it less comfortable at all. I think I still prefer my stretch cotton but mainly because this is what I learned with so am more used to it. But the 100% cotton is a close 2nd and a little cooler I think for summer.
Hotslings are supposed to be coming out with a stretch cotton reversible in the next few weeks too-not sure if she'll have more fabric though.
www.Heavenlybundle.com does reversibles and a padded leg rail though it's not advertised on her site. She has some great reviews too.
I just got my reversible from a new vendor www.lucky-baby.com and her prices are great and I'm very happy with the pouch!
Good luck
Ann

npace19147
04-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Well, we started with a New Native baby carrier which is non-stretch cotton and it was uncomfortable enough to almost turn us off carriers forever! Obviously, given my current collection, that didn't happen... :)

For a long time I thought it was just that I didn't like one-shouldered carriers, and then I got intrigued by the hotslings. It was like night and day in terms of comfort - somehow the slight give of the stretchy cotton really makes a big difference for me. But, YMMV. :)

TereasaT
04-04-2005, 10:40 PM
I find I prefer my stretch cotton pouches to the regular cotton pouches. The give just feels more comfortable for me and for DS. Although, I can't imagine having a pouch with a pattern that I might not like as much.

Also, did you notice that the Kolamo Mei Tai is going to be the Ellaroo Mei Tai now? Pretty big changes going on there.

Tereasa

suzhatch1
04-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Yes - I did notice the Kolamo was going over to Ellaroo. I went to the original Kolamo site over the weekend & sent an email to Karen to express interest in an order & I guess to be put on a waiting list. I received an automated reply that I would receive an invoice via PayPal within 1-2 days....but I've not received one yet & I sent my request back on Saturday.

I hope her Kolamo style isn't delayed too long with the transition....I was on a mission to find the perfect babywearing items and now that I've decided on a pouch & a Kolamo, I'm having problems ordering both!! :)

P.S. I emailed Hotslings to see if maybe, maybe, maybe they might have some additional stretch cotton fabrics that can be made into reversible pouches. I know she's out of town until the end of the week, but hopefully I'll hear back that the answer is yes. I really want to try the stretch cotton first & hate the idea of having to choose pattern or fabric. I want my first choice in both!! :)

tribegirl3
04-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Hi-
Do you know if there are any "retired" hotsling fabrics you liked? You could always do an ISO thread on TBW or the yahoo BabywearingSWAP! I have a stretch cotton hotsling and a 100% cotton reversible from Lucky Baby. I don't really notice much of a difference btw the two...but that's just me. I think the Lucky Baby might be a little more snug which is helpful since I have a leaner but you can always do a shoulder flip to fix the leaning problem. Kristen is always adding new fabrics so you might want to wait to see what she comes up with next! I just bought a deluxe pool pouch from her and it's wonderful! I think it will be great for summertime, my DS has already taken 2 naps (each longer than an hour which is a rarity for him!) in it. If you are looking for a pouch with stretch...this is it! It's like a second skin!! Another thing you might be interested in is the slingset, it's a stretchy pouch system.
www.theslingset.com

I have been wanting a new style Kolamo MT too, they look amazing!

Good luck with your decision, I hope you find something you and baby LOVE!!!

Angie