PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on carrier for aerobic walking please.....

smomom
04-13-2005, 09:32 AM
With the upcoming arrival of a newborn, I am trying to decide if I need to get a double jogger for walking or if I can make do with my single stroller for DS (2 1/2 years old) and carry the new DC in a carrier/sling. I have a Baby Bjorn, but I don't know if that offers the most structure and comfort for aerobic walking - or if there is something better. I don't know if walking with the new DC will hurt my back over time with any carrier and therefore I should just purchase a double stroller. I've read a little about the Ergo, but I don't know a lot about it either.

I apologize, but I know absolutely NOTHING about carriers/slings. I would appreciate any advice or recommendations that you can offer.

thanks so much!

caldreamer
04-15-2005, 12:29 AM
I have only one baby, but here's my experience. I use a jogging stroller for actual jogging, but since I find it cumbersome, use a carrier for almost everything else. I walk A LOT, including lots of fairly fast hiking in hilly terrain. I use an ellaroo wraparound in the wrap cross carry position (I think that's what it's called) when I know I'll be walking fast and/or for a long time. I have walked for hours with it, and it is amazingly comfortable. DS is 11 months and a whopping 25 pounds, and I can still do it. He doesn't mind facing me in the wrap (as opposed to the Bjorn), which is better for my back. I use a mei tai for shorter treks because it's easier, but it's not as comfy for me.

I'd choose an ellaroo over a double jogger any day. Given its lack of structure (just a giant piece of cloth), it doesn't seem like it should be so great, but for me it's perfect. The learning curve seems a little intimidating, but it really doesn't take that long, especially if, like me, you only ever really master one of the dozen or so carry positions :)

Good luck! I think all mothers of more than one kid are complete heroes.

smomom
04-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks so much for the reply. I'll have to check that one out.

Rhonda36
04-15-2005, 05:01 PM
For a newborn, you should also check out a Cuddly Wrap (www.milkface.com) or a Hug-A-Bub. Similar to the Ellaroo, but made from a stretchy material that is oh so comfortable and snuggly. I worked out at the gym wearing my little one in the Cuddly Wrap until she was 3 months old -- and got lots of "good for you"s from other moms.

Good luck!

chrissyhowie
04-18-2005, 08:47 AM
When DD#2 was a newborn, I found it easiest to wear her for long walks and use a single stroller for DD#1. DD#2 would stay completely passed out the entire time! I used a ring sling during the summer months (DD#2 was born in June) and then changed to a KKAFP when the weather got cooler. Bjorn-type carriers never worked well for me, but my sister swears by hers.

When she started to get heavier, I began opting for the double stroller (I've got a e3v2) more and more for long outings. I think you can hold off on getting the double jogger for now and then decide if you really need one later. That way if you do choose to get a double, you'll have a better idea of what type might suit your needs with two.