PDA

View Full Version : Toddler facing forward

KrisM
04-14-2005, 07:36 AM
I've read the 101 thread and searched the archives, but am still unsure what to do.

My son loves facing forward. We could grocery shop all day long, if he could just face forward. Being on my hip is not an alternative, as he twists around so he can push the cart.

I used a Snugli until 6 months or so and then he was too long and kept hitting his head into my chin. I also have a Maya Adjustable Pouch.

Yesterday, I had him in the pouch in the kangaroo carry. He was happy and comfy in it. But, it's really tough to get him in, since he's about 31 inches tall. Also, he keeps tipping towards my left (pouch over right shoulder), so I have to keep pushing him back over. And, I imagine soon he'll want in and out more often and the kangaroo is just not that easy!

So, is there something I can use to have him forward facing that is easier than the kangaroo carry? I'd love it to be another pouch carry, but if not, hopefully it's something not too expensive.

Thanks all!

npace19147
04-14-2005, 09:36 AM
One really inexpensive option for a front facing forward carry is a Tai One On - you can find it at www.lovewrap.com, I think it's about $15. Not everyone loves it, but those that do *really* do. Or you could just try a mei tai, generally you can do a good FFW with that, plus it's very useful as baby gets heavier. You can usually find a not terribly expensive one to try at the FSOT board at www.thebabywearer.com.

aa2mama
04-14-2005, 10:42 AM
I've done front facing out with a mei tai. I didn't find it exactly uncomfortable, but I could only do it for a relatively short period of time compared to other carries with the mei tai, especially as my DS got older (and heavier).

lenad
04-16-2005, 11:34 AM
What about a back carry where he is facing forward? Would he go for that?

LD

KrisM
04-18-2005, 11:47 AM
I looked at the site you guys gave me. I'm just not sure. I think (hope) he'll outgrow this forward-facing stage soon. I played with the pouch a bit and I found that if I put it over my head, so that it wraps both shoulders, I can get him in a kangaroo type carry pretty easily. And, with it over both shoulders, it's much easier on my back. His legs hang out, but he is stable in the center, so it's not a problem. My only limitation is not being able to reach much above my head. I can handle that though.