PDA

View Full Version : 20month old + Kauai = Kozy, Ergo, Kelty...??

Java
04-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Kael will be 20 months when we go to Kauai in June and I'm wondering which carrier would be good to have for the airport, out and about on the island, hiking, etc.

We're bringing the stroller (I think...should I?) so my main concern would be getting to and from the beaches and hiking. I have the Kozy and the Kelty but am intrigued by the Ergo. It looks simplier to use than the Kozy and honestly I am leaning towards not bringing the Kozy (too many straps). The con about using the Kelty is that only DH would be able to carry Kael and he's made comments that Kael's getting pretty heavy in it, making his shoulders ache after a while (we haven't used it in months because of that). The con about the Ergo is that looks like it rides pretty low - I wonder if Kael will be happy about that. Can it be worn to ride higher?

So what do you all think? I guess the real question is should I bring the Kelty or purchase an Ergo. If I do purchase an Ergo, would I get enough use out of it with Kael being as old as he is to justify the purchase (at least until he gets a sibling)?

hjdong
04-14-2005, 03:56 PM
I just thought I would chime in that, although I loved my ergo, DS did not like being on our back in it because it was too low for him to see over our shoulders. We used it on the front, but he had to sit facing us. I used it for a short time on the hip, but found it hard to get him in and out (he always wanted up and down). I think it probably depends on your son's personality.

squimp
04-15-2005, 12:21 AM
I don't have an Ergo or Kozy, but I have a couple of thoughts. If he's too heavy in the Kelty, it may not be any better in an Ergo, likely more difficult. The Kelty should be good at distributing the weight onto the shoulder pads, and should be the easiest way to carry a heavy weight (I mean your beautiful son) for a hike.

That said, if you did get an Ergo, and it didn't work out that well, they seem to have great resale value. There's practically one post per week on BabywearingSWAP looking for a used Ergo. Used ones can go for $70, and you can get them for what $89?

Cute new avatar :)

new_mommy25
04-15-2005, 02:43 AM
Too bad you are not coming to Oahu :) I would go with either the Kozy or the Ergo. Forget the Kelty. The Ergo is AMAZING and I do not think you or your DH will regret it! Did you know they are made in Hawaii? I see them come up all the time on BabywearingSWAP and if it doesn't work out for you just turn around and sell it again.

Java
04-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Angie - I was hoping you'd see this post! Do you think we can hike the Na'Pali coast with the Ergo? Kael is 23.5 lbs, 33" tall.

My thinking is the Ergo will be more comfortable than the Kelty because Kael will be much closer to my body so the weight distribution shouldn't be as bad.

Can you tell I'm just looking for an excuse to buy an Ergo?? I told DH about it last night and he was like "you're getting ANOTHER carrier?!"

Java
04-15-2005, 02:25 PM
The new Ergos are running $130!! Thanks for the tip on BabywearingSwap - I'll cruise over there today!

squimp
04-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Are these new Ergos for $130 a different style or some such? I see them on the Ergo homepage for $89. Every place I've seen them (including the Ergo home page) seems to sell them for $89 shipped. I'm thinking of just buying one locally, to support a local business for once :).

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

or maybe you're looking at the ones with the tote bag and all.

Java
04-16-2005, 12:46 AM
Ah, you're right! I was looking at the whole package with bag and stuff. Funny now that I see it's $89, it's suddenly a good deal! :P

DH is shaking his head, muttering "women!"

sareva
04-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Er, I just bought an Ergo a couple of days ago. My DD is almost 13 months and small. We both run hot so that's a problem with all carriers. I've worn her 3 times so far, 2 in front and 1 in back. I noticed that she didn't like being so low (kept grabbing my shoulders) but she hasn't enjoyed being higher in our framepack either -- it may just be a "back" thing. She has not minded facing me in front, as I thought she would. I have a zillion carriers. And can I just say...
I LOVE THIS CARRIER!
I'm doing a happy dance right now.
We're dirt poor and I don't mind this purchase one eensy weensy teeny tiny bit.
So there, I've said it. I didn't want to corrupt you, but what the heck.
Sarah
Mama to Zoe