PDA

View Full Version : Determined to babywear this time

Rachels
04-15-2005, 02:21 PM
The only sling I had when Abigail was born was a Maya Wrap, and I hated it. The rings dug into my shoulder, and it took me forever to get it adjusted. I also had a Bjorn, which both Abby and I hated. I never got comfortable with either one of these and wound up just carrying her all the time, which my back and elbows scolded me for. I think I would probably like a pouch, and I'm all about simplicity, but there's so much stuff out there that I don't even know where to start. What do you think? Advice for a total novice who wishes not to be a total novice?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Java
04-15-2005, 03:07 PM
I love the hotsling for it's simplicity. And Kristen is GREAT about switching sizes if you happen to get one too small/too big.

I couldn't figure out my ring sling either. Towards the end it was easier to figure out but I'm an impatient person and fiddling with the fabric in the rings just didn't go with my "I'm LATE again!" lifestyle.

BTW - a HUGE congratulations to you Rachel!

nitaghei
04-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Rachel,

An adjustable pouch is probably the way to go. Since you're due in October - and you're in in the Boston area, right? - the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch should work. I personally LOVE my Mom n Me Pea in a Pod pouch (same general principle) - but they're hard to come by as Jen deals with her son's illness.

Once you have the snaps adjusted to fit - you don't have to worry again. The nice part of an adjustable pouch is that you'll be able to wear it over a coat, if necessary.

I love my Hotslings - in fact the cotton Hotsling was my single most used baby carrier. But either the KKAFP or the MnM should be better for you.

ETA:

If you want to try a ring sling again at some point, I highly recommend Rev. Jan's design:

www.sleepingbaby.net

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

Karenn
04-15-2005, 04:10 PM
I love my Hotslings too. They are so simple, and comfortable. However, if I were starting again, I think I would get an adjustable pouch (KKAFP?). I thought I was saving money by buying a less expensive hotsling (They were $20 when I bought mine) but I've ended up with 4 different pouches of different sizes for different seasons. I think I could have cut that number in half if I'd bought an adjustable one. Plus, I've found that how well my pouches fit me makes a huge difference in how comfortable my kids are in them. I can sew, so I just altered my hotslings to make them fit perfectly. I think snaps might be a little easier to deal with in that regard.

HTH,

DebbieJ
04-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Another vote for the MnM pouch! Love ours! They sometimes come up on BBBswap and BabywearingSwap. I never used a KKAFP, but I do NOT recommend the KKACP. The shoulder design is not the same as the fleece and I did not like it.

As for ring slings, the Zolowear slings are a bit more user friendly than the Maya sling (I have both). Plus, they have cute cute cute prints and Darien is a doll to work with. I have never tried one of Rev. Jan's slings.

Congrats on your pregnancy, Rachel! Are you planning a HB this time around?

~ deb
DS 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

tarahsolazy
04-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Jen from Mom n me creations is actually stocking pretty regularly these days, which I think is a good sign about Samuel! She stocks on Hyena Cart now. http://hyenacart.com/momandmecreations/ There are pouches available fairly frequently. I cannot say enough about how wonderful this pouch is for a newborn. I loved my hotsling too, but that adjustability is great while your body is changing so much in the early months. You have plenty of time to stalk, so go be a hyena!

npace19147
04-15-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm going to put in a word here for a stretchy wrap - it was a lifesaver for us when DD was tiny! For October you can go with a Moby Wrap - www.mobywrap.com - only about $30 and super comfy and snuggly. It does have a bit of a learning curve but it's great once you do!

new_mommy25
04-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Rachel,I amglad you are going to give babywearing another try. My first thought when I read your post is that you were wearing your Maya incorrectly. Do you still have it? There is probably a BBB mama in your area who can give you a lesson. Also, Boston has a NINO group which you can check out. There should be some mamas there that can help you out. http://nineinnineout.org/

That being said, I think you should start with an adjustable pouch and a wrap. If you can only get one get the adjustable pouch. It is a cinch to use and your babe will love being snuggled deep within. It's liek being back in the womb :) The best pouches are KKAFP and Mom and Me. Someone already posted the link to Mom and Me. Here is the Kangaroo Korner link. http://www.kangarookorner.com/ For a wrap go with a Moby or Hug a Bub.

Also, if you are hoping to BF in the sling the ring sling really is the easiest way to go. That is why I am stressing that you might need help. If you don't want to pay full price for a ring sling again in fear you will loathe it then I would recommend buying one used from a SWAP group like http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BabywearingSWAP/ The BabyWearer also has a SWAP forum http://www.thebabywearer.com/ as well as just being a wonderful wealth of info!

mommyj_2
04-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Another vote for the Mom and Me.

shishamo
04-15-2005, 11:25 PM
KKAFP!

I just had an October baby (my #3), and my KKAFP (Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch) was just so 'perfect'. You pop the baby there, baby falls asleep, and you can chase your older kids at the playground SO easily.

Rachels
04-16-2005, 06:46 AM
No, I actually had lots of help using it, but it just never was comfortable for me. I assume all slings are not comfortable for all people, kwim? This one didn't work for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I'm excited to get some new stuff to try.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

trumansmom
04-16-2005, 08:27 AM
FWIW- I hated my Maya Wrap with DS. With DD I went through a 3 pouches, a stretchy wrap, 2 non-stretchy wraps, a Kozy and 3 other ring slings, and have come back to a Maya Wrap and I LOVE it! I don't know what the difference is, but while I had a horrible time with it with DS, it's perfect for DD. I think part of it is just being more experienced, and since she's a later walker than he was, it's perfect for hip carry. So, try a few others, but don't toss out your Maya!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Rachels
04-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks! I'm a little up in the air about where to birth, actually. I'm on the board at a birth center here and really like it there, so there are many reasons to have another birth center birth. Among them is my concern that Abigail would have a really hard time at a birth, and there's really nowhere else to send her for an extended period. I want her to be able to be in her home. But I haven't met all the current crop of BC midwives, so I'll do that and then decide. If there's anyone I'm uncomfortable with, we'll stay home and cross the Abigail bridge once we make that decision.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou

houseof3boys
04-16-2005, 08:47 PM
I have a MNM and I really like it! I borrowed Lori's (momof3labs) KKAFP and it was heavenly and by the time you have the new babe, it will be cool enough to wear it.

I bought a Moby but have still not mastered it so I don't recommend that for a new babywearer.

I have had a Zolo but never really liked it as much as the MNM so I sold it. I also bought a Rev. Jan sling when she was having a sale, but I still preferred the MNM pouch so it is packed away somewhere!

They all have a bit of a learning curve, but I find the pouch to be super easy to get used to. The hotsling is great to keep in the diaper bag since it is sooooooo compact.

aliceinwonderland
04-17-2005, 01:06 PM
I can't be bothered to think too much about this (getting better as Erik gets heavier and wants to be carried MORE, not less). but the hotsling is so so easy to use, even for me!I often do not think how it's supposed to go in, I wear it, plop baby in, and get going!! I must have worn it incorrectly more times than I did it correctly, but it does the job, LOL

chrissyhowie
04-18-2005, 08:21 AM
My vote is for the KKAFP (or MnM fleece pouch). Sophie just about lived in the KKAFP this fall and winter. Because it is adjustable, I could wear it easily over my thick winter coat and then change the snap row when I got indoors. It also did double duty as a stroller blanket. You'll get plenty of use out of it through east coast fall, winter and early spring weather.