PDA

View Full Version : wrap and pouch questions

newmama4
04-15-2005, 02:44 PM
I am thinking about getting a wrap and/or a pouch and need some advice.

Are they hard to use? I have a mei tai which my DD loves and was thinking that a wrap might also be her thing - the only thing is she and I don't love being hot. Are they all hot? (We live at the beach.)

Also, is there a carrier that is just as fast as a sling to put on but more like a mei tai? She is about to grow out of her infant carrier and it's really too heavy for me to schelp anyway. The mei tai takes a while for me to put on. We have a sling which is ok, but I was wondering if maybe a pouch might be good. She is long (25.5 inches) but only about 14 lbs. Advice on which summer pouch to get would also be helpful - or any other carriers that might be more quick to get on.

Any advice would be appreciated - I love reading about all the different carriers.

Thanks,
Elise
Hannah Meira's Eema (11/16/04)

neocorgi
04-15-2005, 05:54 PM
i have 2 Hotslings. it's really super easy to use. i have both in stretch cotton so it's ideal during the warmer months. i highly recommend it.

neocorgi
04-15-2005, 05:54 PM
btw i found lots of great info on carrier on
http://www.thebabywearer.com/index.htm

npace19147
04-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi Elise,

Pouches are great, but I find that I can only use a one-shouldered carrier for so long b/f my shoulder hurts. AFA summer-weight wraps, you could try either an Ellaroo, a solarveil wrap, or a gauze wrap like the one from Gypsymama.

I have an Ellaroo and it is definitely lighter weight, and I have some solarveil on order to make a wrap, and a Gypsymama gauze wrap on order as well. :) If you can make it to one of our babywearing meetings you are welcome to try them all once I have them! I also have a Hotsling that you are welcome to check out, although fit is really important with a pouch so depending on your size mine may or may not be the right size for you, but it can give you an idea.

new_mommy25
04-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Not all wraps are hot! I live in Hawaii and wear one frequently. Here is a link to my friends site. She makes them out of very thin breathable fabrics http://www.mamawraps.com/

I'm not sure if there is a carrier that is faster than the Mei Tei. I have a Kozy and in the beginning I had a lot of trouble with it. But a year later I can whip the thing on and off and even toss DS onto my back in the middle of a parking lot! Maybe the Ergo or Sutemi might work better for you?

For a summer pouch I would go with something light like a Hotsling, ChicPapoose or Ten Toes. http://www.tentoes.com/ http://www.chicpapoose.com/

mamaAnn
04-16-2005, 07:43 PM
I think pouches are great for the quick in/outs and I use mine all the time-for up to 2 hrs without problems. The key is to get a good fitting one I think. My son is 27+ inches long and 18 lbs and i use the pouch everyday. I agree that www.hotslings.com are the BEST and I have 3 but I also like www.lucky-baby.com These are a nice lightweight cotton that would be great for your climate I think and very affordable! I really like mine alot and plan to use more when it gets hotter.
Another option is the mei hip carrier but the business is in transition right now while they change management. These are GREAT though if you can get one used or wait just a little till they come out. They are a hip carrier with a sling like shoulder but better for hip carries than I sling IMO.
Wraps can get warm-after all- they are a lot of fabric wrapped around your body. But the gause wraps from gypsymama and the Ellaroo are probably going to be the lightest ones around. And these are very nice!
good luck
Ann

newmama4
04-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the great wrap/pouch advice. I think I am going to get a pouch - now which to choose is another story! I looked at hotslings when I first ordered my sling and mei tai, and I can't remember now why I didn't get one. Maybe b/c I wasn't sure I would get all that much use out a fleece one - I was so hot during my pregnancy! Anyway, I'll relook at the cotton ones.

I will probably also end up with a wrap but I really really want to try one first. I keep trying to come to the babywearing meetings in Philly to try Nancy's on - though we have music from 12:15 to 1 on Tuesdays so I would have to be late. (Thanks Nancy!)

I am definitely getting faster with the mei tai - I should probably get a lighter summer one too (mine is black with an asian silk).

Uh oh, this is addicting!

Thanks again - any if there are any other web sites to try let me know!

Elise
Hannah Meira's Eema (11/16/04)

npace19147
04-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi Elise,

We will be in Rittenhouse Square this Tuesday from 2 until at least 3, maybe longer depending on naps, etc. If you think you can make it email me and let me know what you'd like to try!